"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Next time, soak the chicken overnight in highly seasoned buttermilk. Next day, drain off the excess and dredge the chicken in highly seasoned flour. Wait 20 minutes and repeat the dredging process. Refrigerate half an hour.

Instead of dropping the chicken into a full pot of oil, try pan frying it, instead. Cook one side, then flip it to cook the other side. I've found that par cooking in the pan, and finishing in the oven insures that everything is cooked safely and you get a softer yet still crispy coating.
__________________

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post
Well none of this can be right, because the object is to deep fry, not bake or pan fry.

I don't want a way around the problem. I want to solve the problem.
I think deep frying yields a tough outer crust. It's just the nature of that cooking process.
__________________

__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I think deep frying yields a tough outer crust. It's just the nature of that cooking process.
Can you elaborate on this for me Jeekinz? There are many foods, (including Chicken at KFC, Popeyes, Churches, and many others) that benefit from the cooking process (deep frying) with out causing/creating a tough outer crust...

Thanks for your help!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Sous Chef
 
GhettoRacingKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 943
the tough sking your getting is becuase its not being broken down.

Buttermilk is the key, the enzymes help break down the fibers to give you taht awesomeness your looking for.

If you dont have butter milk you can marinate it in yogurt.

I maranate all my chicken in yogurt, oil and whatever....
__________________
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Can you elaborate on this for me Jeekinz? There are many foods, (including Chicken at KFC, Popeyes, Churches, and many others) that benefit from the cooking process (deep frying) with out causing/creating a tough outer crust...

Thanks for your help!
Sounds like the skin is getting overcooked/cooked too quickly. I never tried using buttermilk yet, but pan frying always had good results.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Sounds like the skin is getting overcooked/cooked too quickly. I never tried using buttermilk yet, but pan frying always had good results.
I've never used buttermilk, either; I've read that it used to be necessary because chickens were tough in the "olden days" before grocery stores, but modern chickens are much more tender to begin with.

Although it's been a while since I've made fried chicken, the skin was crispy but not tough. My mom's recipe, which I used, is to dredge in seasoned flour and pan-fry uncovered in about 1/2 inch of oil for 25 minutes or so per side. It was always cooked through, crispy and browned. I don't see how covering and steaming it, as other have mentioned, keeps the skin crisp, but YMMV, I guess.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Shaken in a bag of seasoned flour, not quite 1/4" of oil, 10 minutes browning both sides. 25 minutes simmering covered, 10 minutes uncovered. Not KFC crunchy, but not totally limp either. Cooking uncovered the whole time will yield a lot crispier skin, but this skin is perfect for me. What hasn't been prefect for me is that it seems the storebrand doesn't have the quality lately, the skin was barely hanging on as compared to perdue or tyson, whose pieces come more "intact".
From last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken dinner 9-5.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	5299  
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Shaken in a bag of seasoned flour, not quite 1/4" of oil, 10 minutes browning both sides. 25 minutes simmering covered, 10 minutes uncovered. Not KFC crunchy, but not totally limp either. Cooking uncovered the whole time will yield a lot crispier skin, but this skin is perfect for me. What hasn't been prefect for me is that it seems the storebrand doesn't have the quality lately, the skin was barely hanging on as compared to perdue or tyson, whose pieces come more "intact".
From last night.
Sounds like a good reason to buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself Looks like a delicious dinner.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Thanks GG.
I've been thinking about whole chickens, but I really don't eat or like the breast. Or the drumsticks for that matter. I'd be making a lot of soup and chicken & biscuits to satisfy my thigh and wing habit. Sad to say but I think the family pack of thighs is my best buy.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks GG.
I've been thinking about whole chickens, but I really don't eat or like the breast. Or the drumsticks for that matter. I'd be making a lot of soup and chicken & biscuits to satisfy my thigh and wing habit. Sad to say but I think the family pack of thighs is my best buy.
thighs and wings are the best!!!
__________________

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.