"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Next time, soak the chicken overnight in highly seasoned buttermilk. Next day, drain off the excess and dredge the chicken in highly seasoned flour. Wait 20 minutes and repeat the dredging process. Refrigerate half an hour.

Instead of dropping the chicken into a full pot of oil, try pan frying it, instead. Cook one side, then flip it to cook the other side. I've found that par cooking in the pan, and finishing in the oven insures that everything is cooked safely and you get a softer yet still crispy coating.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post
Well none of this can be right, because the object is to deep fry, not bake or pan fry.

I don't want a way around the problem. I want to solve the problem.
I think deep frying yields a tough outer crust. It's just the nature of that cooking process.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I think deep frying yields a tough outer crust. It's just the nature of that cooking process.
Can you elaborate on this for me Jeekinz? There are many foods, (including Chicken at KFC, Popeyes, Churches, and many others) that benefit from the cooking process (deep frying) with out causing/creating a tough outer crust...

Thanks for your help!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Sous Chef

the tough sking your getting is becuase its not being broken down.

Buttermilk is the key, the enzymes help break down the fibers to give you taht awesomeness your looking for.

If you dont have butter milk you can marinate it in yogurt.

I maranate all my chicken in yogurt, oil and whatever....
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Can you elaborate on this for me Jeekinz? There are many foods, (including Chicken at KFC, Popeyes, Churches, and many others) that benefit from the cooking process (deep frying) with out causing/creating a tough outer crust...

Thanks for your help!
Sounds like the skin is getting overcooked/cooked too quickly. I never tried using buttermilk yet, but pan frying always had good results.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Sounds like the skin is getting overcooked/cooked too quickly. I never tried using buttermilk yet, but pan frying always had good results.
I've never used buttermilk, either; I've read that it used to be necessary because chickens were tough in the "olden days" before grocery stores, but modern chickens are much more tender to begin with.

Although it's been a while since I've made fried chicken, the skin was crispy but not tough. My mom's recipe, which I used, is to dredge in seasoned flour and pan-fry uncovered in about 1/2 inch of oil for 25 minutes or so per side. It was always cooked through, crispy and browned. I don't see how covering and steaming it, as other have mentioned, keeps the skin crisp, but YMMV, I guess.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Shaken in a bag of seasoned flour, not quite 1/4" of oil, 10 minutes browning both sides. 25 minutes simmering covered, 10 minutes uncovered. Not KFC crunchy, but not totally limp either. Cooking uncovered the whole time will yield a lot crispier skin, but this skin is perfect for me. What hasn't been prefect for me is that it seems the storebrand doesn't have the quality lately, the skin was barely hanging on as compared to perdue or tyson, whose pieces come more "intact".
From last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken dinner 9-5.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	5299  
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Shaken in a bag of seasoned flour, not quite 1/4" of oil, 10 minutes browning both sides. 25 minutes simmering covered, 10 minutes uncovered. Not KFC crunchy, but not totally limp either. Cooking uncovered the whole time will yield a lot crispier skin, but this skin is perfect for me. What hasn't been prefect for me is that it seems the storebrand doesn't have the quality lately, the skin was barely hanging on as compared to perdue or tyson, whose pieces come more "intact".
From last night.
Sounds like a good reason to buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself Looks like a delicious dinner.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks GG.
I've been thinking about whole chickens, but I really don't eat or like the breast. Or the drumsticks for that matter. I'd be making a lot of soup and chicken & biscuits to satisfy my thigh and wing habit. Sad to say but I think the family pack of thighs is my best buy.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks GG.
I've been thinking about whole chickens, but I really don't eat or like the breast. Or the drumsticks for that matter. I'd be making a lot of soup and chicken & biscuits to satisfy my thigh and wing habit. Sad to say but I think the family pack of thighs is my best buy.
thighs and wings are the best!!!

Tags
None