"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,069
Holiday Roasted Ducks

I've roasted many domestic ducks over the years with this method and they turn out beautifully every single time. They are worth the effort to be sure and the directions should be followed to the letter for perfect results.

Hint: I use an x-acto knife for the very important scoring of the skin.




https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/...o-crispy-skin/
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've roasted many domestic ducks over the years with this method and they turn out beautifully every single time. They are worth the effort to be sure and the directions should be followed to the letter for perfect results.

Hint: I use an x-acto knife for the very important scoring of the skin.

https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/...o-crispy-skin/
Thanks KL. Pirate's birthday is tomorrow. Next month on my next shopping trip, I will be picking up a duck for him. My sister used to make one for him every year. She is gone, so I will have to continue the tradition.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,069
You're welcome Addie. I know he will enjoy it.
I don't carve the birds, but remove the backbone with kitchen shears, and use the shears to cut it into quarters for serving.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're welcome Addie. I know he will enjoy it.
I don't carve the birds, but remove the backbone with kitchen shears, and use the shears to cut it into quarters for serving.
And I have a brand new pair of kitchen shears that come apart for cleaning. Thanks. Roasted Duck is Pirate's favorite treat. He won't even share a bare bone with anyone.

Do you cut it after it is roasted?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,069
Yes, don't cut it up before it's completed. Pirate will need to help you make this with all the in and out of the oven for the turning of the duck. I wouldn't want to cook 4 of them like I do without the help of the Souschef. With the duck flipping, it's helpful to use the handle of a cooking fork inside each end of the bird.
For me, there's nothing more wonderful than sharing good food and Pirate should think about that in my opinion.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Rascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 1,208
I've never cooked duck but my friends order it when at chinese restaurants. How do you get the skin crispy, I know how to get pork crispy, with salt, is it the same with duck. I think I'm going to try this?

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,069
Rascal, I salt the ducks liberally with Kosher salt but it's the cooking method in the detailed directions that makes them perfectly crispy every time.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, don't cut it up before it's completed. Pirate will need to help you make this with all the in and out of the oven for the turning of the duck. I wouldn't want to cook 4 of them like I do without the help of the Souschef. With the duck flipping, it's helpful to use the handle of a cooking fork inside each end of the bird.
For me, there's nothing more wonderful than sharing good food and Pirate should think about that in my opinion.
Thanks for the tip of large forks. I just happen to have two large ones.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thanks for the tip of large forks. I just happen to have two large ones.

I'm somewhat worried about you doing this Addie. Have Pirate bring the pan to you at your table for the flipping. SC assisted in flipping the ducks with a rubber spatula (don't break the skin) as I held the ducks up with the fork handles. It's not difficult when you both get it down.

I'm excited for you to do this.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm somewhat worried about you doing this Addie. Have Pirate bring the pan to you at your table for the flipping. SC assisted in flipping the ducks with a rubber spatula (don't break the skin) as I held the ducks up with the fork handles. It's not difficult when you both get it down.

I'm excited for you to do this.
Thank you for your concern. And you are right. Pirate will gladly help me with the roasting. After all it will be his birthday present.

I have conquered a lot since the loss of my leg. But the kitchen is still my personal terror area. Sitting in the wheelchair I cant see what is in the pan. So I have to stand. I am still having problems with that. I had a specialist come and show me some safety tips in the kitchen. But I am still nervous there. I keep the wheelchair right behind me at all time with the wheels locked. So if I should start to fall, it will be right into the chair. I just hope I have the good sense to ignore what is in the pan. Just toss it to the back of the stove so it won't spill on me.

Yeah, Pirate is definitely going to have to help me. And I know he will be quite willing. It is his favorite food,
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duck, roast

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.