"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Hot Wings Question...

I am making Buffalo Chicken Wings by deep frying, then tossing them in Frank's Hot Sauce and melted butter.

My question is would it be beneficial to dredge the wings in flour before I fry them?

__________________

__________________
I ain't got no sprinkle cheese. All I got's this here Velveeta cheese...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 1,218
we dredge ours in flour .. some people like them plain ..
i like mine with the flour coating ..
now i want some wings ..
__________________

__________________
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
we dredge ours in flour .. some people like them plain ..
i like mine with the flour coating ..
now i want some wings ..
Thanks! It's still early enough to go get some!
__________________
I ain't got no sprinkle cheese. All I got's this here Velveeta cheese...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
I always do...it gives the skin some bulk and more of the sauce gets absorbed that way.

You don't have to fry them if you want to avoid some of the fat. I've taken to baking them after flouring them. A quick spray with aerosol oil (like Pam) will help the flour adhere during baking. Just a thought if might want to watch the fat content.
(can you tell I just completed a nutritional certification?)
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mentor, OH
Posts: 1,037
I don't deep fry my wings, I grill them. Have a look at my Wing Recipe and see if you might like to try a different approach without all the oil. I know, it's not the original recipe (funny website), but most of us don't sport Beatles hairdos anymore either.
__________________
JoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I don't deep fry my wings, I grill them. Have a look at my Wing Recipe and see if you might like to try a different approach without all the oil. I know, it's not the original recipe (funny website), but most of us don't sport Beatles hairdos anymore either.
Joe, your recipe link is dead, but thanks anyway. Grilling is not really an option unless someone want to shovel the 2 feet of snow off my deck...
__________________
I ain't got no sprinkle cheese. All I got's this here Velveeta cheese...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
Rob, I would dredge them first. I agree with Vera that it gives the sauce something to adhere to better.

I have a wonderful sweet and sour recipe that bakes the wings (you brown them first to give them a good coat, then cover in the sauce and bake). We would like to experiment with spicy though ... let us know how they turn out!
__________________
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I always do...it gives the skin some bulk and more of the sauce gets absorbed that way.

You don't have to fry them if you want to avoid some of the fat. I've taken to baking them after flouring them. A quick spray with aerosol oil (like Pam) will help the flour adhere during baking. Just a thought if might want to watch the fat content.
(can you tell I just completed a nutritional certification?)
Thanks Vera. I usually cook fairly healthy, but I deep fry things occasionally just to be sinful... I have over 2 lbs. of wings so even in my 1 gal. deep fryer I'll have to cook in batches...
__________________
I ain't got no sprinkle cheese. All I got's this here Velveeta cheese...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Rob, I would dredge them first. I agree with Vera that it gives the sauce something to adhere to better.

I have a wonderful sweet and sour recipe that bakes the wings (you brown them first to give them a good coat, then cover in the sauce and bake). We would like to experiment with spicy though ... let us know how they turn out!
Thanks J! I figured that was the case, but I just wanted to confirm.

What I'd really like to do is make wings like Pizza Hut. They are the best I've ever tasted, and have won several awards...
__________________
I ain't got no sprinkle cheese. All I got's this here Velveeta cheese...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Sedagive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 171
I don't like the texture of the wing when its been dredged in flour, but that's just me. I've never had any problems with the sauce not sticking to the chicken. I think the butter in the sauce helps it stick.
__________________

__________________
Sedagive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.