"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Contest Winner

How do I cook a turkey?

Don't laugh... I'm a pescatarian. I've never in my entire life cooked a turkey, because I dont eat it! However, with Canadian thanksgiving just around the corner, I figured I'd invite my family over here and prepare it. I'll be making the standard potatoes, roasted asparagus/brussels sprouts, gravy, cranberries, etc. but I dont know how to deal with Mr. Turkey.

I've bought one of those frozen pre-stuffed birds, but I honestly dont know how to deal with it. I imagine I'll have to defrost it ahead of time. Can I just put it in the fridge overnight to defrost? Also, when I do get around to cooking it, can I just put it in the roasting pan and stick it in the oven or is there anything else I need to do? What about basting? How often?

Sorry to ask such a basic question... i know its silly. Everything I know about cooking and I dont even know how to roast a turkey!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

i like to put rub on the bird then smoke it for 4 hours, cover with tin foil then finnish baking it in the oven. i take the foil off in the last 20 or so minutes as well as a butter bath to get a nice brown. i dont stuff the bird when i do it this way.

i didnt see that the bird was already stuffed. sorry.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Are there directions on the turkey? I've never purchased a frozen bird that was pre-stuffed.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Head Chef

How much does the turkey weigh? It takes a long time to defrost a turkey in the refrigerator--days. I've never done a pre-stuffed turkey. Are there any instructions?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Have you checked the chicken/turkey forum? There are so many ways to cook a turkey.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've never bought (nor heard of) a pre-stuffed frozen turkey, grumble, but it looks as if you should cook it frozen, NOT thawed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6593_prepare...ed-frozen.html

Lee
Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've never heard of a pre-stuffed turkey either but it looks like Qsis has you covered!!!!!

You are VERY brave - good luck - and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
The best turkeys I've had have been deep fried. Though I think it requires some specialty equipment and a LOT of peanut oil to do.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
Head Chef

Qsis is right about not thawing the pre-stuffed bird. I have never gotten one of those but know people that have. There should be instructions on the packaging or just use the link Qsis posted.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
Contest Winner

Thanks for the help guys. I was a bit panicky as I just got home from the store and realized I had no clue on how to deal with Mr. Turkey. I did a google search and came across very helpful and specific instructions on the Butterball website. Even someone as clueless as I am about poultry should be able to follow those instructions... thank goodness! There were some good tips there too, like rubbing a bit of oil on the top of the breast before sticking it in the oven - apperantly that helps keep the juices in and works better than basting.

Anyway, I figure even if the turkey turns out horribly (but it should be foolproof, I hope...) there will be a ton of other good foodstuffs for everyone to enjoy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tags
None