"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 05-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #11
Executive Chef

RDG, here's a site of the brand of liquid smoke most commonly found in the stores here in the US - http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_wrights.asp

I've used it, but as everyone else says, very sparingly - a little goes a long, long way!

No, it won't give you that 'grilled out' flavor, but it does impart a sort of 'essence' of smoke to whatever you add it to. When I do oven pulled pork, I put the pork roast on a rack in a roasting pan, add some water to the bottom of the pan and add a couple of shakes of liquid smoke, along with onion and garlic. Then cover the whole thing with foil and cook til the meat is fall apart tender. For burgers, I just use a drop or two for a pound of ground beef.

Re the smoked chicken at Subway - or any other smoked chicken or meat! - the normal smoking process not only adds flavor, but texture; ie, the 'mouth feel' of smoked meat is different from that of roasted meat. Sooo - if you really want smoked chicken, you're going to have to - smoke the chicken!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
Head Chef

Liquid smoke is great. I use it all the time on different meats that I cook in the oven. Comes in very handy if you can't grill out. I rub it on country style ribs along with other spices and the ribs come out with a nice smokey flavor. Also great on chicken.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
Sorry.....for me, this is absolutely NEW. What is this liquid smoke? Can I find it in Italy? Or, can you give me some idications? A site, or something similar? TY.
To give a smoke flavour, I usually was cooking with some bits of smoky food together. Or bacon , or salmon, or scamorza cheese......
Here's a link to http://www.colgin.com/ which is the largest manufacturer of liquid smoke products. Colgin Liquid Smoke products are available in New Zealand, Australia and the U.K. I would be very surprised if you were readily able to find it in Europe outside the U.K.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I have used smoked Spanish Paprika to obtain smoky aroma in foods before. I have used liquid smoke in the past but do not care for it anymore, it is to strong and can ruin your food is over used.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Executive Chef

smoked salt, available in gormet stores or on line
fire roasted tomatoes, a nice smokey undertone (Muir Glen)
kettle grill with hickory or mesquite chips real fine.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I'm sure you can't get Liquid Smoke in India. It's a very American thing... I'm surprised you can get it in the UK. The best way to get the smoke flavor is, if you can find one in Bombay, a special type of grill called a smoker. It is specifically designed to smoke meats. Soaked wood chips on an open fire will smoke meat, as well. You would have to have some type of lid to contain the smoke. Best of luck!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Yes I do smoke my mince meat and aubergine with charcoal but that gives it a very a very Indian flavour. I wanted a subtle smoky smell. But I won't be getting that here

Alot of people said that they don't really care for the liquid smoke. Whats so bad about it? Does it contain anything that's not good for health? Is it worth calling for from the US?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen
Ye...Alot of people said that they don't really care for the liquid smoke. Whats so bad about it? Does it contain anything that's not good for health? Is it worth calling for from the US?
The problem with liquid smoke is that it's easy to use too much. A very small quantity is sufficient. If you do use too much the taste is not pleasant.

I would not consider it to be bad for you. It's basically just smnoke from burning wood bubbled through a liquid that ends up in the bottle.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #19
Senior Cook

if you're adventurous, you can smoke smaller quantities of meat right on your stove top, in a very short time. just understand that this is smoking only for the flavor, not for preserving meat, which requires rather more temperature control and way more time.

what you need are:
- a larger stock pot that you don't mind trashing or at least giving a good scouring or, you could maybe use a metal bucket or even a couple of old woks, 1 for the bottom and 1 for the lid.
- 1 or more wire racks
- something to keep the racks well above the bottom of the pan, for example some cans with both ends removed
- a couple (or more) of handfuls of wood chips, or even something like tea leaves
- a tight fitting lid

you've probably got a good idea already. put the cans or whatever in the bottom of the pan. add some wood chips. place the rack. crank up the heat. when it starts smoking, place in the meat and cover with the lid.

from this point, you kind of have to eyeball it, adjusting the heat enough to keep it smoking, but if possible, not so high that you're actually cooking the meat. you can probably move the whole thing outside once the smoke gets going well, so your house doesn't get too smokey when you check the contents. as long as the lid is on, it won't have enough oxygen to catch fire.
it's been a while, but i used to do this from time to time long ago. finally i built myself a smoker. i never thought that it seemed dangerous, as far as fire goes and i seem to recall that between 1/2 to 1 hour would give a good flavor, but as i said, it's been a while so don't quote me on the time. i'd suggest not doing it too much longer at first because you can actually go too overboard on the smokey taste

Tags
None