"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook
How do I get a smoky flavour?

I want to know how I can get that smoky flavour like Subway has in their smoked chicken breast and turkeys. Thanks for any advice

The Purple Foodie
Shaheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I have heard of liquid smoke. Usually you can find it in your grocery store in the aisle that has marinades, ketchup, mustard, etc.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Head Chef
ive used that stuff before and it's nasty

i will reiterate....if you want smoke flavor cook on a barbecue pit...this sh*te is disgusting
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I too have used it and afraid Mylegsbig is correct. I have used a small amount in burgers and it turned out pretty good, but I really ruined a good steak once by putting some liquid smoke on it because I couldn't grill. Now that was nasty!!!!
IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Liquid Smoke is a great product if you realize that it is a flavoring agent and not a condiment or sauce. It is meant to be diluted or added to recipes in small quantities to add a smokey essence to dishes. In most recipes you will find it added in fractions of teaspoon quantities. If you wish to add smokey flavor to meats you should dilute the liquid smoke with liquid to baste or marinate the meat.

Most any flavoring, spice or herb will make a recipe taste funky if used in excess.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

The best way to get the smokey flavor is to cook the meat on an outdoor grill and use wood chips or chunks as an addition to your charcoal or gas fuel.

If you are looking to cook in the oven, Liquid Smoke is a widely used option, if, as Aurora said, it is used properly and sparingly.

Here is a recipe that will give you a smokey turkey or chicken. You just baste the bird with a mixture that calls for a small amount of Liquid Smoke.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
Head Chef
Use Liquid Smoke, but very sparingly.

Agree with Mylegsbig and IcyMist that one can easily ruin well, almost anything, using it.

Am also with Aurora on this, it must be used very carefully.

When I take beans, yep, the canned pork and bean style, and fix them up will add just a dollop of Liquid Smoke.

Or maybe half a dollop.

It is certainly not a marinade, but a flavoring.

But will admit that I consider it a very tricky flavoring to use and one that can take a dish from wonderful to ich, poo, blech, spit in a part of a teaspoonful.

Just my opinion, have a great day.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
Master Chef
Subway is a multi-national franchise chain of sandwich shops .... 45 or so countries the last time I counted. Their goal is to have a smoked turkey sandwich at a Subway in India taste the same as in a Subway in Turkey, New Zealand, Venezuela, Germany, US, etc. To maintain that uniformity they have centralized processing plants and recipes for smoking and processing the meats which are then shipped out to their locations around the world.

QSis was on the right track - if you want smoked meat you will have to smoke it yourself, unless you have a store that sells smoked meats.

Liquid smoke is a VERY concentrated essence of smoke - and should be measured in drops, and used very sparingly. It will NEVER give you the flavor of the smoked meats at Subway.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Head Chef
Have again to agree.

Smoked meats must be smoked.

My point was only that Liquid Smoke can be used in certain dishes, if one uses it very sparingly.

It will give a dish, such as a casserole, a smokey flavor. But it is a tricky condiment to use.

And Michael is right, it is better used as drops than by pouring. I cannot imagine a dish helped by a splash of the stuff.

We use it very rarely, but it can give a dish a certain zing if you are familiar with its use.

Am not advocating its use, and have no financial interest in the product.

And from the ingredients, think it is nasty.

But will use it from time to time with good effect.

Have a great day.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #10
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
Sorry.....for me, this is absolutely NEW. What is this liquid smoke? Can I find it in Italy? Or, can you give me some idications? A site, or something similar? TY.
To give a smoke flavour, I usually was cooking with some bits of smoky food together. Or bacon , or salmon, or scamorza cheese......

RDG is offline   Reply With Quote