"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use a sort of jaccarding tool on flank steak.
yup, something like that. i wonder if you can stab a chicken breast to tenderize it like you would a steak, or would it fall apart too easily?

normal pounding with a flat sided meat hammer definitely tenderizes chicken to a degree.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
What? noone mentioned buttermilk?
Modern buttermilk and modern chickens are not the same as those from years ago, so it's no longer true that soaking chicken in buttermilk tenderizes it. Here's more info:

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
America's Test Kitchen

I have a great recipe from America's Test Kitchen that makes the chicken tender each time. Here's the link: Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts Recipe - America's Test Kitchen

ATK usually requires a membership to watch the videos, but I think at least the recipes are available without a membership. I am a member so I've seen the video that goes along with it and it's excellent. The main thing they do is they start the chicken in the oven first at a low temp, ea. side salted and several fork pokes in the thickest part, covered with tin foil, for about 30-40 minutes before pan searing it . There are other particulars that contribute to the tenderness. That's just one of them.
jonifan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Master Chef
For very tender chicken, cook until it's barely done. I achieve this through a few techniques. Here are my favorites.

1 oven-fried chicken. Dredge chicken in egg wash, and dust with seasoned flour. Pan fry in three inches of hot oil until just starting to brown. Place into a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. REmove and serve with sides.

2. Stir-fry - Dice chicken into half-inch cubes. Get your pan screaming hot, add a couple tbs. of cooking oil. Add chicken cubes. Stir in pan until lightly browned on all sides. Serve immediately.

3. Velveted chicken. Make a marinade of 3 tbs. rice vinegar, 1 tbs. soy sauce, a dash of 5-spice powder, dash of onion powder, dash of garlic powder, 2 dashes cayenne pepper, 3 tbs. water, 1 tsp. cornstarch. Stir until all is well combined. Add thin strips of chicken (cut against the grain and pretty thin) with marinade into a plastic sealable bag. Close and remove as much air as possible. Massage bag to coat all chicken with marinade. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Heat oil to 325 degrees, or bring water to a low boil, then reduce heat until the water is no longer boiling. Drain the chicken and place in either the hot oil, or water. Let sit until the coating turns opaque. Remove and set aside to use in whatever you're making. The meat is done through, and very tender.

P.S. Did you know that geek originally refereed to unlucky performers in circus side shows who were billed as wild men and wild women. They typically bit the heads off of live chickens and such. So, eating undercooked poultry would make one a geek. There may be a few on this site who would qualify for the title. I'm not pointing at anyone. Let your imagination be your guide. And no, I've not eaten such a thing, worms baked in a burning milk carton, yes, undercooked chicken, no.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Thanks everyone, you gave me lots of good info.
callmaker60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Took me years to cook perfect chicken. I invested in a good meat pounder to evenly flatten chicken breasts between saran pieces. I lightly salt, pepper and salute in heated olive oil. A good thermometer is also advised - such as Thermapen. It usually takes about 6 min per side for tender chicken. You can also lightly flour.
I don't bother pounding boneless skinless thighs. I throw them in a skillet with heated with a touch of oil. Add onion wedges, salt & pepper, soy or worcestershire. Cook gently for about 20 minutes. Divine!
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
When we eat out either at olive garden, macaronni grill, carabba's, and order the chicken, it's always so tender, to where you can almost pull it apart. Are they doing something to the chicken to make it that tender, or is it just the way it's cooked? Last night my wife had chicken marsalla, and it just fell apart.
The people who breed chickens for the table fatten them up and kill them at what is really only weeks old. In addition, unless you are lucky enough to buy free range chickens, they have been confined in a small area with little room to move about so they never develop strong muscles. Oh yes, and the birds are often injected with water or saline solution after slaughter and preparation in order to make them weigh more so they can charge more. Yes, I know, you thought that was to make the bird tastier or stop it getting dry in the cooking - wrong - it's to get more cash per pound.

Sorry to spoil your dinner if you are reading this while you're eating but it's a fact of life if the consumer wants a cheap, tender chicken
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Executive Chef
This thread leads right into my question. If a recipe calls for marinating chicken in buttermilk would I be able to use plain yogurt instead? If I use buttermilk I would throw away any extra, but would use the leftover yogurt. Just trying not to be wasteful.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Yes, yogurt can be used as a marinade.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
Head Chef
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
This thread leads right into my question. If a recipe calls for marinating chicken in buttermilk would I be able to use plain yogurt instead? If I use buttermilk I would throw away any extra, but would use the leftover yogurt. Just trying not to be wasteful.
Buttermilk is good in some breads and batters. you can add a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning and some mayo to it for ranch dressing. Buttermilk pancakes and waffles are yummy. Lots of good things to do with leftover buttermilk.

Also, you can make your own buttermilk substitute by adding one tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk, then let it sit for 5 minutes. I did this a lot when we lived in the Bahamas, because no place on our island carried buttermilk.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote