"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Cook

Another nice way to cook a fowl is "sticky chicken". Spice the bird inside and out, fill the cavity with a peeled whole onion and leave it overnight in the fridge. Cook it in a 250 F oven for 4-5 hours and presto!, just like the birds off the rotisserie in the supermarket.
Cheers

Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

My daughter likes crispy wellish done chicken so over the years I have kept things simple so she will eat lots. One of my favorites is very basic with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. I throw about half dozen peeled garlic cloves, few sprigs of parsley and a chunk of onion inside. Roast fairly high at about 400, then drop the temp down to finish. I use my trusty paint scraper, trying not to have it stick, and dislodge it from the roasting pan and transfer it to another pan. I leave it in the turned off oven, to stay warm while I make a bit of gravy. Lose most of the chicken fat, add a bit of chicken stock and reduce and clean the pan of its sticky bits. Thicken with a bit of a slurry. Mashed potatoes and steamed veggies of some kind. It is a classic comfort food dinner around here.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Chicken paprikash with spätzle.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

During the spring, summer and fall, we do a wine-butt chicken a couple times a month. Put chopped herbs under the skin, fill a roaster like this halfway with white wine, add a few sprigs of thyme and/or rosemary and a sliced clove of garlic and put on the grill for one hour.

I also make chicken salad, chicken fajitas, Greek chicken (marinated in oregano, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and S&P) served in pitas with tzatziki, grilled chicken with BBQ sauce, sauteed chicken with mustard sauce, chicken a la king, breaded chicken with tonkatsu sauce, Cajun chicken fricassee, chicken stir-fry, and Thai chicken curry. That's all I can think of off the top of my head
Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
The great thing about chicken is that you can make it so many different ways. I'm getting hungry for French's Crunchy Onion Chicken made with the French fried onions. a much better use for those onions than green bean casserole IMHO.
I agree. But I put them in my mini processor and make the crumbs really fine. I also when feeling really lazy, dredge the chicken parts in seasoned flour and stiffen them in a saute pan skin side down. Then pop into the oven to finish. That way I don't have to stand there and watch or check on them. Set the timer for 20 minutes, chicken done.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I like a nice whole bird with a bulb of garlic (cut in half) and some cut lemon and thyme shoved up its bum. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and more thyme and drizzle with olive oil or soften butter. Roast on top of root vegetables that you mix with some chopped garlic and a little olive oil.

Simple. Wonderful.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
My daughter likes crispy wellish done chicken so over the years I have kept things simple so she will eat lots. One of my favorites is very basic with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. I throw about half dozen peeled garlic cloves, few sprigs of parsley and a chunk of onion inside. Roast fairly high at about 400, then drop the temp down to finish. I use my trusty paint scraper, trying not to have it stick, and dislodge it from the roasting pan and transfer it to another pan. I leave it in the turned off oven, to stay warm while I make a bit of gravy. Lose most of the chicken fat, add a bit of chicken stock and reduce and clean the pan of its sticky bits. Thicken with a bit of a slurry. Mashed potatoes and steamed veggies of some kind. It is a classic comfort food dinner around here.
I do like the sound of this one
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Wow, trying to choose a favorite or best way is impossible for me. I really like spatch cocked and grilled. The skin has to be really crispy though.

Tags
chicken