How do you do your chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I am watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" and they are driving me crazy with the different yummy ways. Korean fried chicken,Texas BBQ chicken,Rotisserie birds etc. What you all got? I usually roast one at 400 or saute in pieces in a pan with onion. I am so frying my next one!

I think I've made chicken almost every way one can make it. I particularly like buttermilk chicken. I am also fond of deep fried chicken (get a craving about once every 2-3 years for that). I have some excellent recipes for spicy chicken that I do really like. I don't cook as much chicken as I used to before getting hens, but the next one is going on the smoker. That probably won't happen until the spring. I have 7 turkeys in the freezer.

Go back a couple days in the daily dinner thread. That's how I typically do my chicken, not counting wings and stuff.

The great thing about chicken is that you can make it so many different ways. I'm getting hungry for French's Crunchy Onion Chicken made with the French fried onions. :yum: a much better use for those onions than green bean casserole IMHO. :)

I cook a lot of chicken. One of my favorite ways is "Smothered Chicken", seasoned and lightly floured, browned and then cooked through in gravy that you've made in the skillet.

Roasted, sauteed, fried, bbq, broasted, smoked .. pretty much any way is good.

I do fry mine now and then, but after brownining i lay them on a cookie sheet that's been salted,has also had granulated garlic and onion powders on it then each piece of chicken gets a bath of white wine and again topped with the garlic,and onion powders, when all is done they get about a teas of melted butter over the top and go to the oven at 300 for 40-45 min or til done through. I like to put dark meat on one pan cook it first the white meat on 2nd pan and cook for a lesser time. When everything comes out of the oven I dress them with fresh chopped parsley. My dh's pharmacy partner loves this chicken so we have to invite him each time we make it. Around here it's a let's eat ma's chicken time.
Rice pilaf from Andy's mom goes with it as does a green salad.
kades

Chicken thighs in an oven pan, soy sauce, ginger and garlic marinade over, cook thirty minutes, turn chicken and cook 30 min more. The sauce thickens a bit and cooks with the chicken so you can use it. So very good.

Another nice way to cook a fowl is "sticky chicken". Spice the bird inside and out, fill the cavity with a peeled whole onion and leave it overnight in the fridge. Cook it in a 250 F oven for 4-5 hours and presto!, just like the birds off the rotisserie in the supermarket.
Cheers

My daughter likes crispy wellish done chicken so over the years I have kept things simple so she will eat lots. One of my favorites is very basic with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. I throw about half dozen peeled garlic cloves, few sprigs of parsley and a chunk of onion inside. Roast fairly high at about 400, then drop the temp down to finish. I use my trusty paint scraper, trying not to have it stick, and dislodge it from the roasting pan and transfer it to another pan. I leave it in the turned off oven, to stay warm while I make a bit of gravy. Lose most of the chicken fat, add a bit of chicken stock and reduce and clean the pan of its sticky bits. Thicken with a bit of a slurry. Mashed potatoes and steamed veggies of some kind. It is a classic comfort food dinner around here.

Last edited:
During the spring, summer and fall, we do a wine-butt chicken a couple times a month. Put chopped herbs under the skin, fill a roaster like this halfway with white wine, add a few sprigs of thyme and/or rosemary and a sliced clove of garlic and put on the grill for one hour.

I also make chicken salad, chicken fajitas, Greek chicken (marinated in oregano, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and S&P) served in pitas with tzatziki, grilled chicken with BBQ sauce, sauteed chicken with mustard sauce, chicken a la king, breaded chicken with tonkatsu sauce, Cajun chicken fricassee, chicken stir-fry, and Thai chicken curry. That's all I can think of off the top of my head :chef:

The great thing about chicken is that you can make it so many different ways. I'm getting hungry for French's Crunchy Onion Chicken made with the French fried onions. :yum: a much better use for those onions than green bean casserole IMHO. :)

I agree. But I put them in my mini processor and make the crumbs really fine. I also when feeling really lazy, dredge the chicken parts in seasoned flour and stiffen them in a saute pan skin side down. Then pop into the oven to finish. That way I don't have to stand there and watch or check on them. Set the timer for 20 minutes, chicken done. :angel:

I like a nice whole bird with a bulb of garlic (cut in half) and some cut lemon and thyme shoved up its bum. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and more thyme and drizzle with olive oil or soften butter. Roast on top of root vegetables that you mix with some chopped garlic and a little olive oil.

Simple. Wonderful.

My daughter likes crispy wellish done chicken so over the years I have kept things simple so she will eat lots. One of my favorites is very basic with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. I throw about half dozen peeled garlic cloves, few sprigs of parsley and a chunk of onion inside. Roast fairly high at about 400, then drop the temp down to finish. I use my trusty paint scraper, trying not to have it stick, and dislodge it from the roasting pan and transfer it to another pan. I leave it in the turned off oven, to stay warm while I make a bit of gravy. Lose most of the chicken fat, add a bit of chicken stock and reduce and clean the pan of its sticky bits. Thicken with a bit of a slurry. Mashed potatoes and steamed veggies of some kind. It is a classic comfort food dinner around here.

I do like the sound of this one :yum:

Wow, trying to choose a favorite or best way is impossible for me. I really like spatch cocked and grilled. The skin has to be really crispy though.;)

My fave is: Chicken Provençal ( poulet provençal ). I also enjoy: Chicken Marsala, Chicken Piccata, and whole roasted ..

A rarity but truly adore is: Chicken breast cutlets dipped in egg, dredged & breaded in home made bread crumbs and sautéed in Evoo.

Being diabetic, I often hesitate to bread my foods. I still do it, but I prefer to just season the legs and thighs (the only part I eat) and bake them in the oven plain. Pirate likes his breaded and sautéed. He loves breaded chicken fingers made with the breast meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom