How is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
We have a 14.5-pound turkey. I stuffed it and put it in a 350*F oven at 9:20. Three hours later, it's done - overdone, even. 165 in the breast and 176 in the thigh. I read it should take 15 minutes per pound, which would be 3 hours and 45 minutes, unless my math is off. Very aggravated right now, as nothing else is ready and I was planning on dinner at 3 p.m.

Thanks for listening.

strange ... i have a 10 pound turkey on the grill at about 350 degrees for about an hour and its already at 145 in the thigh ...

strange ... i have a 10 pound turkey on the grill at about 350 degrees for about an hour and its already at 145 in the thigh ...

I'm making notes for next year - oven at 325, plan on 3 hours for cooking, 1/2 hour for resting. That means I can sleep in more ;)

We have a 14.5-pound turkey. I stuffed it and put it in a 350*F oven at 9:20. Three hours later, it's done - overdone, even. 165 in the breast and 176 in the thigh. I read it should take 15 minutes per pound, which would be 3 hours and 45 minutes, unless my math is off. Very aggravated right now, as nothing else is ready and I was planning on dinner at 3 p.m.

Thanks for listening.
Bummer.

Your math isn't off by more than a few minutes. Have you checked your oven temps with a thermometer? Maybe your oven runs hot.

I always did turkey at 325, but your math is correct GotGarlic! I would suspect an over temp oven.

You didn't have the oven on convection roast? Assuming you have a convection oven.

Thanks, guys. I do have an oven thermometer. I will check the temperature tomorrow. I did not use convection roast, although my oven does have that feature. Feeling better now - it's just me, DH, mom and her husband here, and we'll have plenty of gravy, so all will be well, even if the turkey is a bit dry :)

Typical Thanksgiving, something HAS to go wonky...it's Murphy's Law! Just pick yourself up and go forward. My ham will be undercooked...I keep opening the oven to smell it!

Rest your turkey upside down for a while. And get your oven calibrated.

Typical Thanksgiving, something HAS to go wonky...it's Murphy's Law! Just pick yourself up and go forward. My ham will be undercooked...I keep opening the oven to smell it!

It turned out pretty good anyway, and all the side dishes were delicious :) And the dinner rolls were perfect! I'm not into kneading, so making the dough in the bread maker and then baking them in the oven is a great method for me. Hope everyone else had a wonderful Thanksgiving, too :)

I deep fried my turkey for the first time I am not impressed. The dark meat was overcooked, though white meat was perfect. I think I'm going back to baking/roasting next year. But the stuffing I made was absolutely perfect.

I did a 15.1 pound turkey in my Rival roaster oven, preheated to 375F. It took all of 3 hours and 20 minutes to get the breast to 180F on an instant read thermometer. The instructions for the roaster said 14 to 16 pound turkey unstuffed, 3 to 4 hours, so I guess they know what they're talking about.

Thanks for listening.

Was there dressing in the bird? It cooks faster when its tummy is empty. Sorry about this. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom