"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question How long to cook chicken crown???

Hi,

I will be cooking my first ever Christmas dinner this year and I have decided to get a crown instead of a full bird, we got chicken instead of turkey though.

I have been trying to find out how long I need to cook this for.

The only times I can find is either for full birds or for turkey, I have no idea of these cooking times would be right for a chicken crown.

Please help!

I think the butcher said it was 8lbs... can anyone please give me an idea of how long and what temp to cook it for???

Thank you

Old 12-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Head Chef

Is that a breast?
cooking 8lb chicken breast - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

OK, I'll bite, what's a chicken crown?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

The only thing I was able to gleen was:

"Roasted Cooked Chicken Crown on the breast bone teams the succulence of chicken cooked on the bone with the convenience of an all-but boneless product. New from Fairway Foodservice, the lean, firm and tender 225g-312g breasts are fully cooked products made from EU ..."

And I'm still confused!

My advice would be to use a thermometer and cook until the thickest part reached 165 degrees.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Everymom

If I'm not mistaken the "crown" is the same as the "keel". Its the breast with the wishbone still attached I think.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

So it's an unsplit, bone-in breast with skin. Hard to imagine how big a chicken has an 8 pound one.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
If I'm not mistaken the "crown" is the same as the "keel". Its the breast with the wishbone still attached I think.
I think the keel is technically the bone itself. When I worked at KFC many years ago, they called their breasts "keels" so no one would have to say a dirty word.

I have no idea what a crown is either but if it's a whole breast I agree with Andy, that would have to be some freakishly large chicken to have an 8 pounder.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Hmmm. "She's even-keeled!" "I hope she doesn't keel over!"

Not to mention, "Jack fell down and broke his crown..."
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

We need to hire a British to American translator!

Two references to crown of chicken that I could find make it seem like it is more than just the breast.

The Good Food Channel website doesn't give a great definition, under ingredients it just simply says: chicken crowns (legs and wings removed)

And a recipe for roast chicken crown on Cooking It - Channel 4 includes the instructions: Spread the breast with half the butter and place a few thyme sprigs in the body cavity ... and under Recipe Tips the #1 tip says: Ask your butcher to make the chicken crown if you like. Alternatively, remove the legs, wings and breast bone from a whole chicken yourself.

I assume that by breast bone they mean the keel bone, not the ribs under the breast since later in the recipe, after the chicken is first roasted, it says: Remove the chicken from the oven and place on a board. Using a sharp knife, carefully take the breasts off the bone ...

Now, considering that a large roasting hen can run 6-8+ lbs, an 8-lb chicken minus wings and legs (I assume the leg includes the thigh) is a little more imaginable.

At 325F (170C - Gas Mark 3) I'm guessing 2 1/2 - 3 hours since we don't have to worry about the dark meat?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

A crown is where all the meat is taken off the then stuffed with whatever you want to use and all put together,tied up in a crown shape.

Ours is stuffed with sausage meat, which is why its quite heavy.

It's just all meat though,no hassle with the bones and everything else.

But I am obviously no good at remembering what the butcher said, I've weighed it just now and it's slightly over 3lbs.... bit more realistic. 8lbs, is more like an ostrich than a chicken!!

Thanks for all your help xx

Tags
chicken, cooking times, crown