"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
I agree. Slow cooking of chicken seems like a waste of time to me. Long, slow cooking is great for tough cuts of meat that need tenderizing, but IMHO, skinned chicken pieces come out just fine at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.
Long, slow baking of chicken produces wonderful tenderness. The muscle-groups become less distinct, lengthwise muscle fiber striation breaks down, as do the connections to the bones and cartilage. More flavor from the bones is released to the meat as well. It's more tasty than the usual 50-60 minute roast most people employ for another reason... increased contact with the taste buds and more aroma released to the nasal passages via back of the mouth which is a large part of what we perceive as the flavor of things we eat. Long and slow for chicken is a superior method.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

Here is a recipe for slow roasted chicken which I've tried and like. It makes a whole chicken which literally melts in your mouth and does taste very much like the rotisserie chicken from the the market.

Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It's not for everyone though, and I'm going to try it next time with the overnight spice marinade, then roast it more normally at 350 or 375.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Here is a recipe for slow roasted chicken which I've tried and like. It makes a whole chicken which literally melts in your mouth and does taste very much like the rotisserie chicken from the the market.

It's not for everyone though, and I'm going to try it next time with the overnight spice marinade, then roast it more normally at 350 or 375.
Oh boy, sounds really good. Very similar to Boston Market (originally Boston Chicken) and theirs may be the best chicken I've ever had. Wonder if they still exist. . .
Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Chicken in a Roemertopf

I use a Roemertopf (clay baker) for the moistest juiciest chicken ever. Takes about 1 hour. I add potatoes and vegetable, ( yams are my favourite ) and let them cook alongside. Dinner in one pot, and the smell is tantalizing as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

Thanks so much for the recipe

Tags
None