"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Smoking is my preferred method. Low and slow doesn't apply to poultry. Crank the smoker up to 325 - 350 and cook to an internal temp of 165. Let it rest 15 minutes before carving.

A "turkey cannon" is number two for me, like beer can chicken except horizontal. Works great on the grill or oven.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Master Chef

Our favorite Thanksgiving turkey is done on a charcoal Webber kettle barbeque. We have a metal collar to raise the lid and hold the heat so it will accommodate a twenty pound bird. The bird is injected with butter mixed with Cajan spices, and it's the most wonderful bird you've ever tasted.
To us, it's far superior to the deep fried bird we have also done.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

Convection roast
Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

To make a 20+ pound bird fit in your Weber, butterfly or halve it. I'm one of those people who rarely buy a turkey outside of Thanksgiving, but when I do, that's how I do it.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
To make a 20+ pound bird fit in your Weber, butterfly or halve it. I'm one of those people who rarely buy a turkey outside of Thanksgiving, but when I do, that's how I do it.
That sounds like a great idea Claire, but how do you manage to cook it with the "indirect coals method" since the two halves must take up the entire surface of the grill?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have an 18 inch Webber Kettle and have cooked many a 20 Lb+ bird on it, with divide charcoal beds, and apple, maple, and birch for smoke. It fits fine, without a collar. I just put the drip pan underneath.

When cooking the turkey this way, I make it the day before it's to be served. I carve the bird after letting it rest, place it in my giant lasagna pan, and pour the broth from the drip pan over the meat. I use the carcass for soup. The pan is covered with foil, and refrigerated. I heat it before serving, in the oven, just until it's hot enough to eat. I transfer the meat artistically to a platter and serve.

At Thanksgiving, it's a roasted and stuffed bird at our house. Everyone insists. All other times, they want the smoked bird.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have an 18 inch Webber Kettle and have cooked many a 20 Lb+ bird on it, with divide charcoal beds, and apple, maple, and birch for smoke. It fits fine, without a collar. I just put the drip pan underneath.

When cooking the turkey this way, I make it the day before it's to be served. I carve the bird after letting it rest, place it in my giant lasagna pan, and pour the broth from the drip pan over the meat. I use the carcass for soup. The pan is covered with foil, and refrigerated. I heat it before serving, in the oven, just until it's hot enough to eat. I transfer the meat artistically to a platter and serve.

At Thanksgiving, it's a roasted and stuffed bird at our house. Everyone insists. All other times, they want the smoked bird.

I'm trying to picture this Chief. In order to allow for how high a 20 lb turkey sits in a drip pan on the grate, you must remove the grill grate so the dome lid (without a collar) can be used. In other words, the pan sits at the bottom of the kettle and the charcoal directly surrounds the drip pan, rather than be divided under the grill grate. Is this correct?
I agree, the broth that forms in the pan, goes directly over the sliced meat. Yummm.

Thanksgiving day in this neck of the woods is always warm and beautiful, so the family enjoys being outside with the turkey instead of inside the house, where the rest of the goodies are inside the oven.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm trying to picture this Chief. In order to allow for how high a 20 lb turkey sits in a drip pan on the grate, you must remove the grill grate so the dome lid (without a collar) can be used. In other words, the pan sits at the bottom of the kettle and the charcoal directly surrounds the drip pan, rather than be divided under the grill grate. Is this correct?
I agree, the broth that forms in the pan, goes directly over the sliced meat. Yummm.

Thanksgiving day in this neck of the woods is always warm and beautiful, so the family enjoys being outside with the turkey instead of inside the house, where the rest of the goodies are inside the oven.
No. Picture the kettle. Maybe it's a 22 inch kettle. The charcoal grate is where it should be, with divided beds of charcoal on either side, and a drip pan filled with 2 cups of water between them. On top of the hot coals lay several sticks of wood, to make the smoke. The cooking rack sits above this configuration, in its normal location. The turkey is trussed to keep everything neat and tidy, and sits in the center of the cooking rack, above the drip pan. All vents are set to the half-open position. The lid is placed on top, with enough room between it and the bird for a thermometer, whose face is covered with foil to protect the glass from smoke film. Let it cook for 10 minutes per pound, with the lid on, before I start checking the meat temp. Make sure smoke issues from the top vents continuously, and adjust the fire accordingly. Remove the bird when the thermometer reads 165' F.

Oh, and the bird sits on a V-rack to allow for easy transport on and off of the grill.

It all fits. I'm going to have to dig up one of my pictures to show you. Really. I'm not fooling around. This is the truth. You can take that to the bank... Oh, I got carried away there.

Have a great night. I'm going to bed with my crazy, er, um, I mean my beautiful DW. (How I love to tease that woman.) In the words of my favorite rabbit, "Ain't I a stinker?"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

A delicious deep fried turkey

Does anyone deep fry their turkey for Thanksgiving? What other side dishes do you like to prepare with the bird?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Wild turkey

If there are any hunters here who hunt for wild turkeys I know many delicious recipes for deep-fried turkey to leave your mouth watering!

I am an avid turkey fryer and believe that this is the best method to prepare your bird. Never comes out dry, moist and juicy every time!

Tags
cook, other, thanksgiving, tips, turkey