How many ways to cook a turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter-in-laws father shot a wild turkey when it jumped up on his picnic table! :O He deep fried it on Thanksgiving. It was good. It was interesting how it didn't look like a domestic bird at all-different shape. BTW it tasted great!

I must admit that I have never deep fried a turkey...or even a chicken come to think of it..sounds interesting though :)

Wild turkeys are vicious critters. My youngest daughter had one take a big bite out of her backside. Right through her clothing. He used to chase her all over the place. He didn't like her bicycle. :angel:

I didn't realize there was more than one recipe for deep fried turkey.
Why don't you post a few here?

I've been watching a hen and her brood all summer. I haven't seen them for a couple months and today they all walked from point A to point B about 30 yds away from me. It was nice to see most of them made it.

I didn't realize there was more than one recipe for deep fried turkey.
Why don't you post a few here?

I've been watching a hen and her brood all summer. I haven't seen them for a couple months and today they all walked from point A to point B about 30 yds away from me. It was nice to see most of them made it.

Which one is looking good for TD dinner?:angel:

Recipes!

Well for any of you that would like to fry a turkey here are some delicious brine recipes:

I usually don't inject or rub, but a nice brine always makes the turkey the most juicy and delicious.

Apple cider Brine recipe (perfect for fall):

• [FONT=&quot]12 cups water, divided[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup kosher salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 cups sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup apple cider vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons sage[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons thyme[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons rosemary[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]4 cups ice[/FONT]

Beer Brine Recipe:

[FONT=&quot]4 quarts Beer (Your Choice)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 quarts Ice or Water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups Kosher Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup Sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 Bay Leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Thyme bunches, fresh[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Yellow Onions, peeled and chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Celery stocks, sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Carrots, peeled and sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Lemons, quartered[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 Garlic Cloves, peeled and sliced[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Maple Brine Recipe:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]4 quarts water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 cups dark brown sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup maple syrup[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3/4 cup sea salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]8-10 whole cloves garlic, peeled[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]6-8 whole bay leaves[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 large sprigs of thyme[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons whole peppercorns[/FONT]

This post can be anything about deep-frying turkey!

For thanksgiving I usually like the typical sides, sweet potatoes, cranberries, buttered rolls, etc.

I feel as though everyone should try deep fried turkey at least once. It is so tender and juicy that it literally makes my mouth water while preparing it.

Also, contrary to popular belief, deep-fried turkey barely has any more calories than a roasted turkey, but twice as delicious!

I deep fried turkeys for about ten years.. fantastic.. love them.. but then i had a smoked turkey.. and have been smoking them since then.. but if i have a bunch of people coming for turkey day.. i might fry one and smoke one this year...

Well, I know enough to set my Coffee Cup safely away from my mouth Before starting this vid. I had to turn the volume all the way up. Between their laugh track and my laughing it was hard to hear.

Ahhh, thanks for the morning. :ROFLMAO:

Deep-fried turkeys

Yes that is true, everyone has their different tastes.

I have never had a bad deep-fried turkey before, the taste for me is better than any of the other cooking methods (smoking, roasting)

But sure! If you plan on smoking and frying this year be sure to get in contact with me because I would love to help you out!

I have many tips and tricks to frying the perfect bird!

Thanksgiving Safety Tips

How many of you have deep-fried a turkey before?

Would you like to share any safety tips?

:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good books for turkey cooking

If anyone has ever had any questions about turkey cooking I have found that there are some good books over on Amazon for very cheap,

Like, "How to deep fry a turkey" by Justin Lee any many others with helpful hints and tricks.

:yum:

Back
Top Bottom