"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How the heck should I cook chicken??

Here's a fun story

At some point when I was a child, I decided I don't want to eat food anymore and switched to a diet of basically cheese, bread and occasionally fruit. This lasted well until recently when I hit a wall of self pity and started going to the gym. I have been going for about a year now and my shape has changed but my weight has not and I have tried every possible thing except for my diet. (Trying to gain wait not loose it)

My question for you lovely people is for someone that has not eaten chicken in at least a decade, what would be a good recipe that is easy, preferably quick and most importantly tasty- that won't throw me off and never want to eat chicken ever again?

I'm sure there must be fussy eaters within the forums here and I would greatly appreciate some help here.

Thanks guys!

anotherbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Master Chef

I suggest you start with boneless chicken breast..It can cook up easily without worrying about bones, joints, grizzle...it also is mild flavored and will pair well with just about any type of sauce, or flavoring...

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Master Chef

Do you have a grill? Do the grocery stores carry packets of yellow rice mixes? Personally I would brine and grill the chicken breasts. A favorite stove/hobb dish is chicken and yellow rice (Arroz con Pollo). The mix makes it a pretty easy and tasty dish to make. Also finding achiote in the UK can be a challenge.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Buy and freeze legs and thighs. Thaw a leg and a thigh for dinner. Preheat oven to 350F. Preheat an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. Buy "Dixie Fry" mix. Coat leg and thigh in that dry mix.

Place pieces in the skillet, a few minutes each side only. Remove. Place on pan in oven and cook for 40 minutes more at 350F. Bushes Baked Beans, potato salad. Roll and butter. Yum. Makes me hungry.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Buy and freeze legs and thighs. Thaw a leg and a thigh for dinner. Preheat oven to 350F. Preheat an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. Buy "Dixie Fry" mix. Coat leg and thigh in that.

Place in hot oil, a few minutes each side. Remove. Place on pan in oven and cook for 40 minutes more at 350F.
As with most US products, they are probably not available in the UK.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Master Chef

Bourbon Chicken
Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 Tbs peanut oil
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ cup bourbon
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup turbinado sugar
  • 2 Tbs chili garlic sauce
  • 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 2 Tbs corn starch dissolved in ¼ cup water

Instructions:

Combine bourbon, soy sauce, sugar, chili garlic sauce, rice wine vinegar, and ginger. Wisk until all ingredients are combined and set aside. Heat wok over high heat. Add peanut oil and heat until it starts to smoke. Add chicken pieces and stir fry quickly until lightly browned. Remove chicken with slotted spoon.

Add sauce to wok and bring to boil. Reduce heat, add cornstarch dissolved in water and stir until thickened. Add chicken and simmer for 20 minutes.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Considering you've had a very limited diet for an extended period, i'd recommend introducing new foods slowly and with a minimum of seasoning. Starting with a chicken breast is a good idea as it is mild and relatively easy to digest.

First time around I'd suggest poaching the breast in barely simmering water until it reaches an internal temperature of 161ºF. Then slice and season with a little salt. You can experiment with different cooking methods and more seasoning and sauces as you go.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

I have a friend with similar weird diet, she started with rotisserie chicken, then found the best restaurant and tried their chicken and after finding out she only like chicken breast , she asked me for a recipe and it became Chicken fried rice.

it is diced chicken breast fried in butter, mixed with cooked rice and peas.

Take it slow and make sure you try and try again.

I
Old 11-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi !!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I'm a very picky eater. Those who have an impression of my grastronic preferences may understand this. I too eat, by preference, light and small dishes, even though it may that it's the other way round. I like to chicken involtini, are nice, use thin-sliced chicken breasts, lay them flat, line with thin bacon and then a small amount of sage and onion stuffing. Start by assembling, and then rolling then up and secure them with small skewers, or cocktail sticks, and put them in the oven until done.

I can only manage two at a time! No wonder I've lost weight !

All the best to all of you

di reston Enough is never as good as a feast

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, cook, other