How to cook Duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chipsnbeer

Assistant Cook
i need some ideas for cooking a duck. i know there is a famous orange sauce that usually comes with it when you buy it, but i would like to try some thing different. i would like to keep it in the oven, so if anybody has a recipe, please help me out
thank you.

I'm not sure if it's allowed to refer to TV cooks here but ...
Elton Brown has an EXCELLENT process for doing duck. We've done it and I will say it is a bit time consuming (marinate in brine, sear in oven, then finish in oven) but the end result is delicious. I watched the show then found the info on the food network website ... look under the show listings for "Good Eats" and look for the duck episode.
Sorry if I broke any rules!
:) jmediger

I've got a dozen different duck recipes. Most are Chinese. However, here's one I've had for years, but never gotten to making.

Chile Dusted Duck with South of the Border Stuffing
Yield: 6 servings

one 4 ½ – 5 # duck
5 Jalapeno chiles, stems and seeds removed, chopped
1 c Diced onion
¼ c Butter or margarine
2 c Peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
2 c ½” bread cubes
½ c Piñon nuts
1/3 c Chopped fresh cilantro

Remove giblets and neck from inside, wash and pat dry. Sprinkle the inside cavity of the duck with salt. Sauté the chiles and onion in the margarine until soft. Combine the mixture with the apples, bread cubes, nuts, and cilantro, and toss gently to mix. Fill the neck and body cavities loosely with stuffing.
Skewer the neck shut and cover the opening of the body cavity with aluminum foil and tie the legs together. To be safe, do not stuff until you are ready to cook. Place the duck on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. With sharp fork, prick the skin at 1” intervals, being careful not to prick the meat or it will dry out. This is to allow the duck to continuously self-baste so you can put it in the oven and forget it. Dust the duck with the chile powder. Bake in slow oven, 325ºF, about 3 hours or to an internal temperature of 160ºF.

I tend to prefer my duck on the simple side. I like to taste the natural flavour of the meat, so I tend not to drown it in other flavours. A pan served duck breast with a bit of red currant or blackberry jam (strained first to remove seeds), a few herbs, perhaps some pepper. Or ginger, greeen onions, sesame oil and a little bit of cilantro.

As long as you baste it often, roasting a whole duck just as you would a turkey or chicken is no problem, too :)

For a whole flock of duck recipes here's a good link:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=duck

ICadvisor said:
I tend to prefer my duck on the simple side. I like to taste the natural flavour of the meat, so I tend not to drown it in other flavours. A pan served duck breast with a bit of red currant or blackberry jam (strained first to remove seeds), a few herbs, perhaps some pepper. Or ginger, greeen onions, sesame oil and a little bit of cilantro.

As long as you baste it often, roasting a whole duck just as you would a turkey or chicken is no problem, too :)

For a whole flock of duck recipes here's a good link:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=duck

I feel the same way about duck. The taste of the meat is so fantastic, I hate to mask it with heavy sauces.

I don't bother to baste a duck as it has so much fat under the skin, it's really self-basting.

Duck a l'orange and duck au cerise (cherries) are the classic french duck dishes.

I use marmalade for a glaze for duck. and a little bit of orang laquire. Or other laquire. (spelling) I put the booze on in the last few min of roasting really nice flavor.

I saw Paula Dean making this on Food Network the other day, and it looked so good!

Duck Burgundy

The flavor in this recipe really comes out if you can let the duck marinate in the seasoning for a few hours or overnight.

2 whole ducks
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Poultry seasoning
1 large onion, quartered
1 apple, quartered
1 orange, quartered
4 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup red Burgundy wine

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Clean the ducks well and rub the body cavities lightly with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning. Stuff the cavities with pieces of onion, apple, orange and celery. Rub the ducks with the soy sauce and oil. Place in a baking pan and roast, uncovered, basting often with Burgundy wine, about every 10 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes baking time per pound of duck. Remove the stuffing before serving.

Back
Top Bottom