"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My favorite part of the turkey!!

I roast mine with high heat to get them nice and brown.....(400 degrees) and then deglaze the pan with some broth and boil them to release all the meat from the bone.

The broth is wonderful for turkey gravy, and you can use the meat in the gravy if you wish. At my house, the meat never makes it to the gravy.
Thats what I do!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I never thought of using the necks for gravy!
So I think I will roast them, pick at the meat for my personal pleasure, deglaze pan and simmer necks for a while. And use for gravy? Is that correct. I am pretty new at gravy making. Only did it like 5 times. Little help on next steps please!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I always simmer them along with the gizzard and some onion, carrot and celery to make the gravy.....then I have a feast with the neck and gizzard!!!!.....after they are very soft!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I never thought of using the necks for gravy!
So I think I will roast them, pick at the meat for my personal pleasure, deglaze pan and simmer necks for a while. And use for gravy? Is that correct. I am pretty new at gravy making. Only did it like 5 times. Little help on next steps please!
Gravy is basically a flavored liquid thickened by flour.

If you're cooking a roast, the fat and drippings in the pan are a great base for the gravy. Drain off most of the fat, leaving a small amount in the pan for the gravy. Heat the roasting pan on a burner or two and add some flour to the fat in the pan. Stir to combine and cook the mixture until the flour browns a bit. Whisk in the stock you made by cooking the neck and any other parts. Bring it to a boil. Scrape up any of the stuff stuck to the bottom of the roasting pan while the stock is boiling. Season with whatever you like. Perhaps some sage, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. Don't make it too thick. It will thicken more as it cools in the gravy boat.

This is basic. You can experiment with adding wine and other seasonings.

Tags
None