"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Between posts I just received "regrets" for dinner. Not their fault, just circumstances.

Of course now, I have to get busy and do ALL those recipes because now I have only myself to please. Yeaaa!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
Head Chef

Myself I would do Roasted chicken( whole or pieces with mixture of veggies like : potatoes (both white and sweet) , carrots, Brussel sprouts, parsnips little baby onions.( What ever you like) Make some gravy to go with it Add a nice garden salad some dinner rolls or some crusty bread. Simple but tasty.
You plate this on a platter and looks impressive.
Then a couple of different pies for dessert.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Between posts I just received "regrets" for dinner. Not their fault, just circumstances.

Of course now, I have to get busy and do ALL those recipes because now I have only myself to please. Yeaaa!
Though I love chicken Kiev, for myself I'd go with Andy's suggestion and make chicken Marsala. Simple, easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #24
Executive Chef

So although my friends could not make it I prepared a couple of pieces tonight of Chicken Marsala.

Andy, Charlie - you are absolutely right - the ease with which that comes together is a perfect choice. There is so much you can prepare ahead of time and pull it all together when needed.

I find it particularly difficult when entertaining only a couple. There is no one else to buffer the conversation for me when I get busy. Couples don't come to sit and stare at each other while I bang pots and pans. Therefore I like to choose recipes/menus that can be prepared 80%+ in advance - or so simple I make them do it... .

I had some frozen mash Potatoes, defrosted they were a soup - tasty but a soup. Put them in the toaster oven on "dehydrate" for 30 minutes or so. Perfect! Couple of drops of truffle oil, good beating and YUM! I was a little surprised at how well they came back, thought maybe they might be the dogs breakfast.

Here is my supper - Chicken Marsala with Truffled Mash Potatoes - fork tender, I did not even use a knife. I will make the other suggestions though, even just for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken marsala 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	29427  
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #25
Cook

Pressure/fryer chicken

Does anyone happen to know the temperature that KFC uses to pressure/fryer their chicken? (original recipe) I know it takes a very short while, perhaps 10 minutes.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #26
Head Chef

Plain old roast chicken, and roast potatoes carrots sweet tatters pumpkin. And peas. Home made gravy. My grandkids favourite.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
Master Chef

When I was young there was a fashion for Chicken Maryland - chicken joints deep-fried in an egg and breadcrumb coating. My mother used to make a baked version in the oven.

Sorry, I can't give details as the recipe wasn't in her cookery note-book when I was clearing out her house after she died.

(Note to the young:- collect your favourites of your mother's recipes before she dies or confusion sets in)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Plain old roast chicken, and roast potatoes carrots sweet tatters pumpkin. And peas. Home made gravy. My grandkids favourite.

Russ

Always home made gravy.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I love stuffed chicken breasts, baked and finished with an appropriate sauce. You can make several at the same time. My favorite stuffing is duxelles, scallions, and ricotta cheese. With, of course, and mushroom sauce eithe over or under the breast. It looks even more impressive if you serve the breasts meticulously sliced.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #30
Master Chef

At the top of what I would consider an elegant chicken dish, well at least time consuming with many ingredients, would be chicken in a black mole sauce. And it still is a peasant dish.

Tags
other