"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I have 5.4lb turkey breast and I am feeding 7 adults and 1 child.

I have 5.4lb (uncooked weight) turnkey breast and I am feeding 7 adults and 1 child. I am serving chicken soup. There will be green beans and potatoes and a cold salad. I want to make a second protein but my wife won't let me. I think we need a second protein for 2 reasons.
1. To makes sure there is enough protein

2. To give people a choice.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

With side dishes including soup & salad, and at 5.4 lbs. with 8 patrons, that's about 11 oz. per serving. Plenty.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Everymom

Depends on how you serve it. You can conceivably make that much turkey breast stretch for that many people if you make a stir fry or a pasta dish or something. How were you planning on preparing it?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Depends on how you serve it. You can conceivably make that much turkey breast stretch for that many people if you make a stir fry or a pasta dish or something. How were you planning on preparing it?
Roasted and sliced
Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Cook

also it is 5.4lbs uncooked. Not sure how much I will lose in cooking. Does that change anything.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
also it is 5.4lbs uncooked. Not sure how much I will lose in cooking. Does that change anything.
Not unless you plan to served dry turkey? Half a pound of meat (8 oz.) is a lot of meat! That's two quarter pounder beef patties - with soup, green salad, green beans and potatoes... I'm a big eater and I'd be full... but you do what you think is right and will take the doubt and pressure off of you. You have more important issues to deal with.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

It looks as if you have plenty, but if you are not happy with it, why not make a nice stuffing and gravy to go with the meat. I know it sounds like thanksgiving but why not, you could also add a nice fruit salad as well as the green.
Good luck and enjoy
kadesma
Old 09-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
I have 5.4lb (uncooked weight) turnkey breast and I am feeding 7 adults and 1 child. I am serving chicken soup. There will be green beans and potatoes and a cold salad. I want to make a second protein but my wife won't let me. I think we need a second protein for 2 reasons.
1. To makes sure there is enough protein

2. To give people a choice.

What do you guys think?

This is what "I" would do. I would skip the soup- too much poultry. And add a small apricot/mustard glazed boneless ham and roasted sweet potatoes. I would rather have MORE then enough then make my guests think they have to eat lightly so there is enought to go around. Leftovers are great!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Everymom

Dan, I'm not sure how much you will lose in the cooking process but I think if you brine it before cooking you will minimize loss and improve flavour. I plan for 1/2 lb per guest (child OR adult) and you are riding on the line with this amount in my opinion. I don't know that I would necessarily add a protein by cooking a ham or anything, but I would perhaps tweak the menu a bit to make sure everyone is full. Here's my suggestion:

Appetizers: Shrimp ring and veggie platter (both economical and easy to prep)

Entree: Roasted turkey breast (brined to maintain moisture), either oven roasted potatoes or roasted root veggies (onions, potatoes, carrots tossed in 1 tbsp each oil, powdered beef boullion, balsamic vinegar) and steamed green beans finished with a pat of butter and a sniff of salt.

Salad: Make your salad pretty, theres lot of fresh veggies out there with lots of colour at the moment. The plates will have enough on them so serve it in salad bowls on the side.

Dessert: If you feel adventurous, bake a pie or pound cake (both easy and reasonable $) If you don't want to do that serve a fruit and cheese platter. More expensive but a lovely finish.

That should suffice for everyone. I agree with Patty about the soup. Too heavy on the poultry end of things. If you want to do a soup instead of any other kind of appetizer, perhaps choose something a bit different. A gazpacho or something creamy. (Potato soup?)

Good luck! Let us know what you chose to do and how it all went.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I think a small ham would be a good idea, but here's some ideas if you want to stick with one protein.

Stuffing or some bread/rolls would help fill people up. Fruit on the side sounds like a good idea as well, and/or maybe a second vegetable. Corn is in season and is one of those unique vegetable/starches like potatoes. It's cheap and filling. You could do a little compound butter to go with it if you wanted. I also second the idea for a filling starchy dessert like a cake.

Good luck with your party!

Tags
None