I have a whole chicken that I want to broil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baarmywife42

Assistant Cook
OK so I had this recipe for a mariande (olive oil, coarse salt, fresh rosemary and sage) that I've used before but the recipe calls for grilling the whole chicken. I'm using the same marinade and I've decided to broil it, because I don't have access to a grill. I'm just wondering how long I should broil it for. It's about 4.25 lbs. Any help would be great.

How long does it say to grill it for?

Just be careful under the broiler. You want to have it far enough away so when the grease from the skin pops it doesn't catch your oven on fire.

I would actually recommend baking first (butterflying is a great idea) for about 30 minutes at 400 then sticking under broiler to crisp up. Just not too close to broiler though. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before cutting up.

I'd roast it, actually.

I think it's awfully hard to correctly broil chicken at home (as opposed to a restaurant with a salamander). Usually the skin burns before the meat is done.

I'd bake it also.
I'm not a fan of broiling-only for anything. Too hot too fast and less control.
Does that make me a control freak?

I'd roast it, actually.

I think it's awfully hard to correctly broil chicken at home (as opposed to a restaurant with a salamander). Usually the skin burns before the meat is done.

Even on "Low" my broiler is pretty hot. I leave the door cracked a tad to ease up on the temps a little. Learned this after burning toast one too many times. :innocent:

The Alton Brown recipe sounds so good I want to make it right now and we just got up from supper!! Can't wait to try it.

Kitchenelf gave you good advice. This is exactly what I do. Roast it first so the chicken is cooked and the meat is juicy and tender, then stick under the broiler, about 6 to 8 inches from the coils to finish crisping the skin. Awesome results every time. And of course butterfly the bird first. It broils evenly on all sides.

I quarter a whole chicken and bake it on a cookie sheet at 400F until the internal temp is almor right on. Then flip on the broiler to finish the skin if necessary.

My oven is hard enough to clean without having baked on grease which I know would happen if I broiled it in my mine---not the easiest to regulate and needs so be soooooooooo replaced. But I will keep these ideas in mind when I do get that new model.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom