"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Head Chef

I messed up... Help

I made the stew for my Chicken and Biscuits for tomorrow evening this morning. I t just isn't thick enough and I've already put the frozen peas, onions, and other stuff in it and it's in the refrigerator in the casserole dish.
Is there any way I can make it thicken in that dish? I don't want to dump it all back into the pot, and bring it to a boil because I'm afraid doing that will overcook the peas, etc.

Is there something I can put on top and bake until bubbly that will help it thicken??

I just wasn't paying close enough attention and I'm afraid my guests will be eating soup instead of stew.
:( :oops:

Old 02-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

lyndalou,
I'm really not sure if this would work, maybe someone else can give some better advise, but the only thing I can think of is to maybe strain out some of the liquid, reheat on the stove and add a thickening agent then cool and return to casserole??? Sorry I don't have any advise that I am positive would work.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to nicole
lyn. do youthink you can add some cornstartch? maybe some cream of chicken?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Tomato paste is an excellent thickening agent. If it turns the stew red well maybe you have invented something. I wouldnt worry about the color.

You are gong to have to heat this to boiling no matter, I believe. Thickeners do not work fully until they are brought to boil. If you dont do that, then you are going to get gooey cornstarch or whatever.

Cornstarch is also a good idea, again I think it has to be brought to boil.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Unless you have access to a commercial pre-activated thickening agent, like ThickenUp. That product will thicken cold liquids as well as hot. Of course, thickened cold liquids tend to be a bit on the "grainy" side, kind of like it's got lots and lots of teeny tiny little beads of jello in it.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:24 AM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I guess the only way would be to take as much of the liquid out as possible and bring it to a boil and thicken it then return, meat and veggies to the dish.

However, I am off the hook on this one. My guests have the flu and won't be coming tonight. Sooo, I am sending them some chicken SOUP today. Next time, I'll pay better attention to my stew..

:)
Old 02-20-2005, 08:23 AM   #7

Lynda how much does this make. It's just going to be for me and hubby. should I half this?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

To avoid overcooking your veggies, and still be able to thicken your stew, place a colander into a large bowl and dump the stew in. Let the liquid drain from the stew and put the veggies back into the serving dish.

Melt a quarter cup butter in a saucepan and add an equal amount of flour. Stir into a paste. Turn heat down to medium. Slowly add the stew liquid, about a 1/4 cup at a time, and stir vigorously with a wire whisk. Add more liquid until you have used up the liquid and have a good gravy. As this is a chicken stew, you can add milk if additional liquid is required, or better yet, half'n half.

Pour the gravy back into the stew veggies and warm all in the microwave until your stew is at serving temperature. Even though you are off the hook this time, the above procedure will give you a superior gravy than will thckening agents such as arrowroot, tapioca, or cornstarch. It's smoother and IMHO, has a better flavor. My wife would disagree. She likes her gravies thickened with cornstarch. But even she agrees that stew should be thickend with flour.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
Head Chef

Nicole,
The recipe will fill a 9x13 baking dish.
Goodweed, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that the next time.
Having trouble replying to some posts since the changeover.Often get a server can't be found type of message. Hope this is cleared up now,
Old 02-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #10

Re: I messed up... Help

[quote="lyndalou"]I made the stew for my Chicken and Biscuits for tomorrow evening this morning. I t just isn't thick enough and I've already put the frozen peas, onions, and other stuff in it and it's in the refrigerator in the casserole dish.

Lyn. I finally made that stew. The same thing happened to me. Thank Gosh it was just us here. All I did was call it creamy chicken soup didnt put the biscuits on top. it was very good just like that. I put extras in to give more color. Will try it again soon

Tags
None