"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Hi All,
I just tried something, that didn't work quite well. I brined the duck in sugar-salt water and added balsamic vinager. Over night, and then steamed and put in an iron skillet (AB method).
The thighs were great... but the breast meat almost tasted like liver (that strong flavor) which I had difficulty finishing.

I guess adding the Garlic with pineapple/orange juice brine was the best, it took away all those unwanted flavors... (speaking for myself)

I liked Rom's recipe, I'm going to try it... I need to get my hands on a recipie that I can make for people who are trying duck for the first time... so far, the closest I can use is the AB recipe but you can't present it nicely because the steam shrinks the meat and the bones show up.

I found another recipe on simply ming, where you can tea-smoke it for an hour and then roast for another hour and a half... That sounds interesting.

Since Duck is not very popular where I stay, only frozen is available (one american brand, and another german... ducklins... female...) I found a place that sell free range organic, but it was way too expensive... So I am sticking to frozen. So far, I've only used the German brand (becuase it's cheaper) and I am considering amercican next time.

Having said all of the above, I must say, even though I started eating duck this year for the first time in my life... I seem mysteriously attracted to it... and will continue looking for a set of recipes that I can use all the time...

Old 07-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #32
Master Chef

Don't feel out of the loop because all you can get is frozen duck. That's pretty much all we get here in Virginia, USA, along with most of the rest of the U.S. Duck farms are getting few & far between because of the high level of pollution that raising ducks produces.

Since I was born & raised on Long Island - home of the famous Long Island Duck - I know a lot about the situation, having followed it long after leaving Long Island. Duck farms went from dozens to, I believe, just one or two today - & those just supply restaurants & certain high-end suppliers. Gone are the days of driving into a supermarket or butcher & picking up a Long Island Duck for a couple of bucks. So sad.

However, frozen duck doesn't equal sub-standard duck at all. The ducks I've purchased frozen that have come from the the midwest have all been delicious, & anyone interested in trying duck shouldn't shy away from them.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

That brings me comfort... to know that frozen quality is as good... not the decline of farms. I never knew duck farms are polluting... In Japan they use ducks in oraganic rice farms... to eat insects, fertalize the land and they get eaten at the end...
Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #34
Master Chef

Hey - frozen duck quality is EXCELLENT! And if you find it isn't, contact the producer & tell them what happened. I've only had to do this once, but was more than pleasantly surprised.

I had purchased a frozen duck for Easter dinner that, when it was thawed, deflated like a balloon or a duck that had been run over by a truck - lol!

I did roast it, although it was diffcult, but as an afterthought, pried the wrapping out of the trash & contacted the supplier via e-mail. They not only apologized, but sent me 2 certficates for 2 free ducks.

Can't beat that for customer service.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #35
Sous Chef

"Oh yes!!!! What temp do you roast it at?"

um my oven is a bit...how can i put this..."STUPID" i am renting and am using what I have...the temperature isn't very "acurate" unfortunately (so if someone says put it in the overn at 180..i putit in the oven at 300 LOL), but i normally roast it real high for half an hourish (maybe bit less), then lower it
Old 07-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #36
Sous Chef

kalmen...my dad would swear by garlic and parsley on his duck and i doubt he would eat it any other way :)

my bf first tried it like this as he never had it before and he loved it too.

We get Frozen ducklings @ our supermarkets "Coles" or "Woolworths" and my mum order free range stuff and gets fresh duck if she wants.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Nice! That's going to be my my next trial!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #38
Sous Chef

I should come and taste test your duck..if its good i mean not good i will eat it all and you can make 'me..cough..cough i mean you can cook another duck for your first timers LOLLLLL jokes

duck is YUMMYYYY
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

I'll go buy the duck tonight :)
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #40
Sous Chef

i better jump on the plane right now then LOL

Tags
None