"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Cook

I need support here...

the first time I fried chicken I stopped by to ask for advice. Best chicken my husband ever had and I agree, it was good.
Last time I didn't fair too well. Salmonella chicken my husband called it. It has to be because I didn't come here first for support.
Ok. Well I'm about to try to try chicken breasts. Any suggestions?

thesongthatilike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Everymom

Do you have a particular recipe that we can help with? Or are you just looking for recipe ideas?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Cook

I need to know the best way to fry it w/out burning it yet cooking it til done.
I have marinated it in beer, seasoned it and plan to dredge in flour.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Are these bone-in, skin-on breasts, or boneless, skinless? Do you mean deep-fry (at least an inch of oil) or pan-fry (a film of oil in the pan)?

If bone-in, skin-on, deep-fry: heat the oil over medium-high heat till a drop of water sizzles, then put the breasts in skin-side down for about 15 minutes. Turn and cook the other side for another 15 minutes. Keep the oil bubbling lightly, to keep it hot enough that it doesn't penetrate the chicken. Remove a piece and cut it to check for doneness. If not done, put back in the oil and cook another few minutes, depending on how much pink you saw when you cut it.

If boneless, skinless, pan-fry: heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown both sides, about 5 minutes each. Add about 1/4 cup liquid - wine, chicken broth, water - cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. Cut it to check doneness and if not done, continue cooking a few more minutes, as above.

HTH.

This just occurred to me: This last time, did you use a different method than the first time?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Everymom

I like to add some seasoned salt to my flour, and I tend to brine (sugar and salt in the water) rather than marinate. If you sear the outside at a higher temp quickly and then turn the heat down to low and let the breasts cook a bit longer you should be fine. Go with about 15 minutes or so.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Cook

Deep fry bone-in skinless.

How often should I turn it?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Song do you have a thermometer? If so take them to 160-165* Start with hot oil and brown slightly, turn your heat down to medium or so, and cover with a lid. Bone-in breast will cook fairly quickly. Turn them several times. How many times does not matter..

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Cook

Hello Bob wondered if I would hear from you.

I don't have a thermometer but its looking pretty good. I am going to be sure I cook through and through this time. Three down one to go.

Haven't told my husband whats for dinner. It might scare him away
Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Song....Ya just don't want to under-cook. Over-cooking will result in dry, tougher results especially with Chicken breast, but it is still better than under-cooking! Practice makes perfect!! If DH doesn't like the chicken, tell him there is peanut butter in the cabinet and to help himself!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Cook

DH is wonderful about my cooking. Everything I cook is wonderful! He never complains unless the chicken is undercooked LOL.

Tags
None