"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Cook

I need Thanksgiving help.

I am being forced to cook this year. There will only be 4 of us so I'm thinking I'll just go for an organic whole turkey breast instead of a full turkey.

I've never cooked anything like this, I'm worried about it drying out so I'm considering brining it, I've only ever done this with pork chops, is this a good idea? What would be a good technique, high heat initially then lowering it to finish cooking?

Also does anybody know a good simple stuffing recipe? I work in a grocery store and we have tons of different types of those packs of dried bread from Pepperidge Farms etc, or do I use regular bread and just tear it up?

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Master Chef

I basically go by the recipe on the bag of stuffing cubes

1 (14 oz) bag Herb seasoned stuffing bread cubes (Pepperidge Farms)
2.5 cups Chicken or turkey broth/stock
1 stick (8 TBSP) Butter
2 - 3 stalks Celery - chopped
1 large Onion - chopped
1 (10 oz) box Fresh Mushrooms - chopped
1/2 cup Walnuts or pecans - chopped
(1 carrot - chopped Optional)

Herbs and seasoning to taste:

Ground sea salt
Ground peppercorns
Dry Poultry seasoning
Fresh sage
Fresh thyme
Fresh rosemary
Fresh parsley

Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Master Chef

To brine your breast, combine 1 cups of salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of water. Place the turkey into the brine and let it hang out in the fridge for about eight hours.

When its time to cook the turkey breast, preheat your oven to 400' F. Remove the bird from the brine and rinse it under cold water. Pat it dry with paper towels.

Next, rub it all over with softened butter. Evenly season with a mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Rub this into the salt to spread it evenly over the turkey.

Place the breast onto cut up root veggies such as potatoes, carrots, rutabagas, etc. that have been placed in a greased, shallow baking pan. Place in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes per pound. Check the meat with an instant read thermometer. Pull from the oven when it reaches 165 ' F.

If you don't want to use the root veggies, roll up pieces of aluminum foil to place under the bird.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Cook

Thanks guys!

I'll do that stuffing recipe minus the mushroom, carrot and nuts. How long do I bake it?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

We like it hot and fresh right after it's cooked. I usually make it after I take the turkey out of the oven to rest. I make the stuffing and put it in the hot but turned off oven till the gravy is made and the food is ready to be served.

BUT you can Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until the stuffing mixture is hot.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Callahan, I bought one of these Butterball - Roasts - Boneless Breast of Turkey Roast today. I'll cook it after Thanksgiving as we are invited out for dinner, and I need my leftover turkey sandwiches.

I've used these roasts before and they are really excellent, with no waste at all, perfect for a small celebration. I've never brined mine, and it's been juicy and delicious following their roasting directions.

Be sure you buy a bag of fresh cranberries and follow the recipe on the bag for the best cranberry sauce ever! It's sooooooo easy and only takes ten minutes. You'll never buy another can again.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Cook

I'm gonna get an organic one I think, aren't the butterball etc varieties pre-brined with their solution? I wan't to try my own with some rosemary sprigs and other herbs.

And I won't eat that cranberry sauce, Ever since I saw it as a kid I knew I would never consume it. I have weird food rules: I don't eat white stuff like mayo or cream based sauces, most cheeses, things in cans or was introduced to me in cans, ketchup on things etc. My fiancee drinks eggnog and I'm horrified. I always wear a disappointed look when she gives it to our daughter.

Give me any vegetable or plant based food and I'll eat it, but I wouldn't eat a tablespoon of ranch dressing for a hundred dollars.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Master Chef

Cranberry/Tangerine Relish (Uncooked)

1 bag fresh cranberries
2 Tangerines and/or oranges - washed good - cut small rind included (do not peel)
Pecans - to taste
1 cup sugar and/or honey - to taste
Splash lemon juice - optional

Put all ingredients except sugar in food processor and grind till you have medium chunks (not to small). Put in container and add sugar. Let sit in refrigerator 1 or 2 days before using to allow flavors to meld.

This is an uncooked relish.

Serve with poultry or pork.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I was looking at the Thanksgiving stuff in the supermarket yesterday and discovered that they wanted $13.65 for a 4 pound turkey breast, and $7.00 for a 12- to 16- pound whole turkey. I think a whole turkey is the way to go.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I was looking at the Thanksgiving stuff in the supermarket yesterday and discovered that they wanted $13.65 for a 4 pound turkey breast, and $7.00 for a 12- to 16- pound whole turkey. I think a whole turkey is the way to go.
I work in a supermarket, if it was 7 dollars for a 16 pound bird it was a poor quality store brand. The name brand stuff gets more expensive, around 1.50 a pound, and the organic stuff we carry is 2.59 a pound whole bird or breast. You can tell the difference when you look at the organic ones, they look normal...the other turkeys look like selective breeding gone mad.

Tags
thanksgiving