Ideal Chicken Brine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zobo

Assistant Cook
I searched the forum for what goes into a good brine and couldn't find anything about the ingredients. But i bet a lot of folks here have their special brew. When I bring a whole chicken, I just use salt and garlic, which is kind of boring. Any interesting adaptation of making a good brine?

There are plenty of brine recipes here, it's just a matter of fine-tuning your search. I don't measure so I can only give you ingredients, sorry:

apple juice
light brown sugar
kosher salt
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme
fresh smashed garlic
fresh limes cut, squeezed, and all thrown in
fresh oranges, same way
fresh lemons, same way
bay leaves
black peppercorns

Heat everything and let cool COMPLETELY. Brine chicken overnight or turkey. I do this with my Thanksgiving turkey and then I smoke it - YUM is all I have to say. I will finish the last hour or two in the oven to collect some pan juices for the most amazing gravy! :chef:

How long does it take to smoke a turkey?

I smoked a 22# turkey and it took about 8 hours I think - I did stick it in the oven the last couple of hours to speed up the process. It was a good idea though because those pan juices made an awesome gravy!

I also have smoked brined whole chickens and they take about 4 - 5 hours, depending on the size and temperature.

when I make a brine it's sort of a "stone soup"
I just keep throwing stuff in.
A nice dark beer is good in there too.

I am boring. I just use salt and water. Occasionally I will throw some herbs from the garden in, but not often.

Me too GB.......Salt, sugar, and water. Sometimes some "stuff" ...but mostly I save my "stuff" for other things....It's gotten to where "stuff" cost a lot of money, and I'm not sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck!...So I guess I am boring...and cheap!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom