"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Ideas for preparing turkey meats?

Besides average roasting, whats your faviourite way to prepare turkey?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Love smoked turkey legs. Tasty and a great finger food way to eat turkey.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I use ground turkey for many things--meatloaf, chili, spagetti sauce. Other than Thanksgiving, I don't ever cook a whole turkey through the year because we don't really care for dark meat. I use turkey breast for making (the BEST) chicken salad!!
I did to a braise of turkey drumsticks that was pretty delicious--rubbed with garam masala and braised in the oven.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hickory smoked!!!
Fried is not bad either.......
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
You can substitute with turkey for most of the chicken recipes. To me, turkey provides some extra flavour and richness compared to chicken.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

I love turkey in all forms. It's so much better than chicken, I think. Homemade turkey soup is such a comfort food! Also, turkey pie, turkey tetrizzini (sp?), turkey breasts parmesan...
I like to make whole turkeys as often as I can. Right now I've got one defrosting in the fridge.
I also like to use ground turkey as a nice alternative to beef in some of my dishes.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Since my husband doesn't eat red meat, we consume a LOT of poultry - turkey in particular. At all times I will have ground turkey, turkey drumsticks, turkey cutlets, different varieties of turkey sausages, marinated turkey strips, turkey tenderloins, smoked turkey thighs, turkey ham, turkey pastrami - you name it, it's probably in my freezeror fridge at this moment or I've cooked it recently.

As far as favorite ways to make turkey besides our roasted Thanksgiving bird? You name it, I've probably done it. I use cutlets for "Turkey Piccata" & "Turkey Marsala"; ground turkey for stirfries, lasagna, tacos, burgers, meatloaf, etc.; tenderloins to cut into chunks for kebabs; marinated strips for burritos, faquitas, & stirfries; sausage for pasta sauces, pasta veggie/tosses, sub sandwiches, etc.

I no longer purchase smoked turkey thighs from the supermarket as I find they WAY too salty. I order them from Burger's Smokehouse instead.
(Burgers' Smokehouse Home Page) This company has the best smoked turkey thighs on the planet. Each one is large & individually vacuum-packed. I either nuke 1 apiece in the microwave for 2 minutes per side (& serve with buttered egg noodles & green beans) or just use one to add to black bean or split pea soup. They're just wonderful, & not salty at all - just nice & smoky.

As you can see, if it's made of turkey, I've probably cooked it, enjoyed it, & can give you a recipe for it - lol!!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

Humm .. depends on my mood. I like brined and slow smoked (like Uncle Bob said - Hickory - but Pecan or even Apple wood isn't a bad alternative), but I also like deep fried. Heck - I see nothing wrong with "plain old roasted"!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Master Chef

Oh - I've also made regular (unsmoked) turkey drumsticks using recipes for lamb shanks (reducing the cooking time, of course), & they come out fabulous. I usually serve them on a bed of cooked northern white beans which helps to soak up that wonderful garlic/wine sauce.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
Master Chef

My husband does all kinds of wonderful things with turkeys. He brines'em, he smokes'em and he injects'em, he fries'em, and he roasts'em on the gas grill.
But I love my good old easy way, like my first MIL taught me. Season him throughly, put breast down in a roasting pan, tent with foil and cook at about 325 until the leg and thigh wiggle loose. Turn it over and take off the foil the last bit to brown the skin if you want, but it will still be crispy and good if you don't.
That is the MOST tender, tasty and juicy turkey you've ever eaten, and you have nice goodies for gravy.

I notice no one has mentioned the use of a cooking bag. My son-in-law did that for Thanksgiving, and the turkey was extremely juicy and tender, even the white meat, which I usually find a little dry. But I didn't care for the flavor. Maybe it was just in my mind, but it seemed to have a "taste".

Tags
None