"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I have lots of leftovers, I planned on making egg rolls today...only I'm going to bake them rather than fry them. Anyone else taking their Christmas dinner leftovers and making eggrolls? I'm making seafood eggrolls...the turkey went home with the DH (my bad).

Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Since I have lots of leftovers, I planned on making egg rolls today...only I'm going to bake them rather than fry them. Anyone else taking their Christmas dinner leftovers and making eggrolls? I'm making seafood eggrolls...the turkey went home with the DH (my bad).
I've had good luck with baking these kinds of things if I spritz them with an oil spray first. They come out more golden than toasted.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you use peanut oil or ?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Do you use peanut oil or ?
I don't know if you were asking me, but in case... I just use whatever spray oil I have on hand, buttery flavor, or canola, usually.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Do these freeze well after they are fried? I know they freeze commercial egg rolls, but I don't know, is this different?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Here's the way I learned to fill egg rolls:

Beat an egg to use sealing the rolls. Before you start, remember that the skins dry out within mere minutes, so keep the skins covered with plastic wrap except when picking up one to stuff.

Place the skin on the counter in front of you with one corner facing you, the others at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Dip your finger in the egg mix and brush around all the edges of the skin.

Place the desired amount of filling on the diagonal between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Pick up the corner facing you (6 o'clock) and fold it over the mixture.Cover any part of 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock that was exposed from the under side with egg, then fold these two corners over the middle, sort of like an envelope. Again add any additional egg sealer as necessary, then roll the entire roll towards the 12 o'clock corner until the roll is complete. Inspect it and seal with egg wherever necessary.

I once made them a few hours in advance, covered with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator until my guests arrived. They were positively ruined when I cooked them, got all bloated out and semi-exploded. Perhaps they would have worked better if I had individually wrapped them. So my conclusion is the skins dry extremely quickly, in as little as even just 5 minutes. Next time I want to serve them for company I'll make the filling in advance and then assemble and fry the egg rolls immediately before serving.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Do these freeze well after they are fried? I know they freeze commercial egg rolls, but I don't know, is this different?
I have frozen them. I haven't baked them before, but would think they will freeze equally as well. I am filling with shrimp, carrot, grated cabbage, and whatever else catches my fancy.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love eggrolls. Finely ground pork with cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, red pepper (all finely chopped). I usually fry in one inch of oil in a pot. Once fried, I can freeze them and then warm in the oven.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love eggrolls. Finely ground pork with cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, red pepper (all finely chopped)..
Fiona that's the closest to my recipe that I've seen in this topic. Mine is perhaps somewhat Thai influenced (or not, I cook my own recipes rather than sticking to traditional or authentic recipes). I use a mixture of 4 parts ground pork, 1 part chopped shrimp, chopped ginger root, cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, thinly sliced Thai peppers, chopped green onions, rice wine, brown sugar or palm sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce... I don't have any specific recipe and cook a different way each time I cook, depending on whim and ingredients on hand.

I'd like to try adding some lemon grass or maybe Thai basil.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to freeze egg rolls without cooking them first.

By the way, egg roll skins freeze quite nicely, either in the original package or you can divide the package and wrap each portion tightly in plastic wrap. You'll probably end up throwing away the ones on top and bottom when you use them. I thaw them in the refrigerator or on the counter, then use them out of the middle of the package. And again, cover with plastic even while assembling and cooking. The exposed skins can dry out noticeably in only a couple or few minutes. They lose their flexibility and become difficult to stuff.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When working with the eggroll wrappers, I wrap them in moistened paper towels, keeps the moist and pliable.

Tags
None