"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I'm a Chicken

So I want to advance and upgrade my normal chicken. Usually I just cook chicken breasts, thin them out, marinade with some italian dressing, salt and pepper.

I want to do more with it, and incorporate it with some sides or veggies. Any suggestions?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Don't flatten the breast (boneless/skinless). Cut a pocket in it and stuff with ham and gruyere, bread it with panko, saute in skillet to brown both sides, finish in the oven.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Executive Chef

When you pound them out, top with a layer of pepperoni or salami, and using the bumpy side of your mallet, pound it out until the pepperoni sticks to the chicken. Dredge in a bit of seasoned flour(flour with salt, pepper, oregano or any other seasoning you like. Roast in the oven with a bit of oil, flip over half way. When done, serve with some tomato sauce. If you want you can put mozzerella on it and pop it back in the oven on broil until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Replace your marinade with a mixture of salt and sugar dissolved in water.
Rinse/dry before cooking, season with fresh ground black pepper and don't add any more salt.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know who came up with the Italian dressing marinade, but it is time to give it a proper burial. We have a couple of BBQ's here every summer. The resident that does the cooking marinates everything in the Italian dressing. I bring my own meat that hasn't been marinated. Salt, pepper, and some dry herbs. Then just grill it for me please. And don't over cook my beef. His feelings were hurt the first ime I did this. I also wasn't fond at all to having the hot dogs marinated. Where did he come up with that one? I will eat a grilled hot dog, but I do prefer to have mine steamed. I also love grilled fish. Don't marinade it in Italian dressing please. You cover up the delicate flavor of the fish.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't know who came up with the Italian dressing marinade, but it is time to give it a proper burial.
Thank you SO MUCH! Good lord, talk about over played, and well past its' bed time...it's not 1984 anymore.

OP, are you married to the idea of just chicken breast?

Are you into the idea of roasting/broiling/baking/braising/butterflying/grilling/broasting/grilling, a whole bird? Often, it is more cost effective then just buying breasts, you open up to a whole other world of possibilities, and, a LOT more flavor.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
Head Chef

I'm not a huge fan of breasts, they can be dry, but I do like them for escalopes and for stuffing. Chicken kiev or chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in pancetta is good. I cook mine in "roast in " bags which retain juices and moisture.

Escalopes are good if you use a good coating mix of breadcrumbs (or panko), mixed with parmesan, and herbs and a bit of cayenne pepper.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Chicken: It All Depends On The Recipe

Chicken has uncountable recipes and one can employ breasts, legs, thighs, wings and organ meats.

It all depends on what you are preparing.

* chicken kiev
* chicken francese
* chicken piccata
* roast stuffed chicken
* BBQ wings
* Coronation Isabel II Chicken Salad
* stuffed chicken breasts wellington
* chicken with lemon in tagine
* coq au vin
* chicken soup
* jalfrezi chicken
* cacciatori
* chicken salad sandwiches
* thai wings
* chicken kebabs on skewers

All delicous and all up to the individual.

Have lovely Sunday,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Head Chef

Oh yes! Good list!

Can I add Chicken Biryani to that.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Executive Chef

i too prefer chicken thighs...moister/tastier/cheaper.skin & bone the thighs or buy already done,slice,stirfry with veggies of choice & a bit of garlic,ginger,chilli & soy sauce.quick & easy one pot wonder(of course would work with breasts too)

Tags
chicken