Is it safe, slow cooker chicken broth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This. The bacteria that was rapidly multiplying while in the danger zone might have thrown off spores.

You need to start stock or broth on high and switch to low

Why would stock be any different from any other meats you put in the crock pot? While we were still working, we made a lot of dinners in the slow cooker, some started mostly covered with water to make a broth while they cooked.

I ask out curiosity if you know something in particular, because I'm no expert. As mentioned above, I make stock on the stove in my stock pot.

Why would stock be any different from any other meats you put in the crock pot? While we were still working, we made a lot of dinners in the slow cooker, some started mostly covered with water to make a broth while they cooked.

I ask out curiosity if you know something in particular, because I'm no expert. As mentioned above, I make stock on the stove in my stock pot.

It’s not. No protein should be sitting around in the danger zone while the pot comes to temp. That’s. Why you start on high and switch to low.

Thanks go to everybody that voiced their opinion.

I decided to keep and use the broth. This is the link that convinced me that the
broth I made should be safe to eat. After all broth simmered long before the 4 hour mark for high setting. I did not mention I started on high and once simmer was achieved I switched to low.

]http://www.crock-pot.com/service-and-support/product-support/product-faqs/food-safety/food-safety-faq.html[/URL]http://www.crock-pot.com/service-and-support/product-support/product-faqs/food-safety/food-safety-faq.html

With that said next time I make broth in the crock pot I will just roast the bones prior to placing in the crock.

I did save the fat too, it is in the freezer too. Can it be used?

THIS!^^^

While guidelines are good, you need to know yourself and yours. It doesn't have to be so scientific and scary.

It’s not. No protein should be sitting around in the danger zone while the pot comes to temp. That’s. Why you start on high and switch to low.

That wasn't an option. We started the crock pot as we left for work, and it only had High, Low, and Off. Set it high and the food is overdone long before we get home to turn it off, so it was done on low all the way and never caused any issues.

Not just me either. My mother did it like that - just about anyone I ever knew in that situation set the slow cooker on low if it was going to cook unattended, and nobody I knew was ever harmed because of it. Liability alone would have put Rival (the original Crock Pot) out of business if they made an appliance that commonly led to food spoilage and/or poisoning when used per instructions.

+ 1...
Too many years ago to recall our first slow cooker.. I've never used one any other way than put in ingredients set to low and walk away..
That was and remains the purpose of a slow cooker..

But then, I was also raised without seat belts, child car seats, etc., etc., etc.. Don't know how I've made it this far.. :rolleyes:

Ross

good idea

After simmering for that long, I wouldn't be too worried about nasties in the broth, but I'm not a food safety expert either. I make stock in a 16 quart stock pot on the stove.

I would recommend next time giving those chicken parts a good roast before they go in the stock pot. You will develop more flavor that way, and even if it's only partly precooked, it's still safer than raw. A bouquet garni in the pot also helps to make a more flavorful stock/broth.

I brown beef for beef stock, never thought of doing the chicken, it would give it a richer taste. Why I never thought that ????? Thanks RPCookin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom