"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is it safe, slow cooker chicken broth?

Hi everyone,
I made chicken broth in my slow cooker . I put the rinsed raw chicken backs, onion, chopped carrots, celery, whole black pepper, water.
The concern I have is that it took close to 3 hours for the water/broth to come to a simmer.
Is it safe to eat or is it bacteria infested?
I cooked for 9 hours. Quickly cooled and refrigerated. Next day pulled the fat from the top, put in freezer.
Any feed back is appreciated.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

No one here can tell you for sure whether it's safe or not, but it sounds like it was in the "danger zone" (between 40 and 140 degrees F) for longer than two hours. That range is where bacteria grow the fastest. The FDA guidelines say that food should not be left at those temperatures for more than two hours.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Master Chef

I make chicken stock in my slow cooker all the time, and nobody's died yet. Of course I always use the SHIFT setting which starts odd in high and then switches to low.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

"Nobody's died yet" isn't a great standard, imo.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'm not sure about whether the time in the danger zone is offset by the extended time at a simmer, which would be well above the 160-degree mark. It seems to me that any bacteria that could form in the "danger zone" would be thoroughly killed with 9 hours of simmering. I would definitely worry about food sitting in the danger zone waiting to be served, but tend to think that broth brought to a boil/simmer for nine hours after slowly heating up would be okay.

I think that would be the real question to answer.

CD
Old 11-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

After simmering for that long, I wouldn't be too worried about nasties in the broth, but I'm not a food safety expert either. I make stock in a 16 quart stock pot on the stove.

I would recommend next time giving those chicken parts a good roast before they go in the stock pot. You will develop more flavor that way, and even if it's only partly precooked, it's still safer than raw. A bouquet garni in the pot also helps to make a more flavorful stock/broth.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wouldn't be concerned that any microorganisms might have survived the 9 hour simmer. I would be wondering if the microorganisms that grew during the 3 hours before the simmer had left behind any toxins.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

Water starts to simmer around 185 F, so you most likely topped 140 F in less than 2 hours.

If you think this through, there isn't much difference between making stock and filling up the crock with meat, veggies, and water, as meat and veggies are mostly water. If you are comfortable cooking chicken in a slow cooker, then you shouldn't worry about making chicken stock.

I looked up a few recipes in Beth Hensperger's slow cooker cookbook. The recommendation for meat stock is to cook on high for one hour to bring the temperature up, then reduce to low. Of course, she also has a recipe for poaching a whole chicken at low temperature only.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

There is product sold in Russian stores, called Riazhenka, its like yogurt, but made from baked milk. Product itself is great but pancakes made with it is out of this world. Had some this morning. Yummy.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
"Nobody's died yet" isn't a great standard, imo.
I've been cooking for over 50 years, so it is a great standard.

Tags
broth, chicken, chicken broth, cook, recipe, slow cooker

Is it safe, slow cooker chicken broth? Hi everyone, I made chicken broth in my slow cooker . I put the rinsed raw chicken backs, onion, chopped carrots, celery, whole black pepper, water. The concern I have is that it took close to 3 hours for the water/broth to come to a simmer. Is it safe to eat or is it bacteria infested? I cooked for 9 hours. Quickly cooled and refrigerated. Next day pulled the fat from the top, put in freezer. Any feed back is appreciated. 3 stars 1 reviews