"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Is Roasting a Chicken THAT Hard?

Okay, I have a recipe that calls for a store bought roasted chicken but the spices on those are horrid. I don't know what combo they use but it's just awful and kind of adds a grass like taste. I just want a roasted chicken without a ton of spice added. Is it that hard? Can I just rub some oil/butter, add some salt and pepper and cook for an hour? It's more about the meat because the chicken will be used in a recipe.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That sounds fine Callisto! It's not hard but for the cost of a rotisserie chicken it's almost not worth doing yourself. If the spices are that horrid won't you be removing the skin anyway? I know some flavor can still get down in there.

If you want it REALLY tender I do all that you mentioned i.e., butter, salt, pepper, and whatever spices/herbs you want to blend to rub on it. I usually do a combo of kosher salt, black pepper, dry mustard, paprika (smoked or not), oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, even some lemon pepper seasoning is good. Now, you don't have to do ANY of this except for the butter, salt and pepper.

I will roast for about 2 1/2 hours in a tightly foiled pan with a lid on it at about 250 degrees F. It comes out so moist and tender.

The problem is people tend to overcook when they roast a chicken. The way I mentioned sort of prevents that because you are steaming. You can just roast open making sure the sides of your pan are really low. Just check at the 45 minute mark for doneness.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Of course you can.It's your chicken.
Store bought cooked chickens are usually seasoned with a lot of paprika.Maybe a dash of s/p.. Gross..
You can add any spices you want, rubbing olive oil on it works well.Just make sure it's completely cooked.

Munky.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
That sounds fine Callisto! It's not hard but for the cost of a rotisserie chicken it's almost not worth doing yourself. If the spices are that horrid won't you be removing the skin anyway? I know some flavor can still get down in there.
The first time I did this recipe I did use a store bought and it was awful and that was with the skin removed. The spices were visibly thick and clinging to the chicken so I thought for a savings of a dollar (yeah, I know a dollar) I'd try it myself. I need chicken, not spiced chicken and that's what our store offers, over spiced chicken.

I like the low and slow. The recipes I've seen say 450 for 50 minutes. I can see low and slow making for a juicier chicken.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Just go ahead and use your own chicken - it will be much nicer than any storebought. The recipe is probably just a timesaver one.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I almost never buy store bought roasted chicken any more.
I can make it better and cheaper.
I first kosher (dry brine) the chicken by sprinkling salt all over
and letting it sit for 2 hours or more.
I then sprinkle with Paprika / Garlic Powder and roast
@350 F until breast reaches 160.
For variety I may put a half lemon in the cavity and
squeeze lemon juice over chicken.
I may also sprinkle soy sauce over bird after koshering.
I always save the giblets (- liver), wing tips and bones(after cooking) along
with defatted drippings for making chicken stock.
The liver goes into the cavity to roast along with the chicken.
Checking for doneness after 20 min. per pound of chicken has expired.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Head Chef

Yes.. Grab a nice roaster, remove the giblets. Rub with butter, salt, pepper(and I like a little seasoned salt). Stick it in the oven and roast..

Tasty!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Cook

I have to admit I never roast a chicken from scratch myself. I used to love the apple-stuffed small chicken (seasoned and ready to roast) from Whole Foods and stick it in the oven. So tasty!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Take some of your seasonings and rub them under the skin too. This really lets the flavors penetrate the meat!
Toss some aromatics into the cavity... lemon, rosemary, garlic, apple,shallots, whatever you feel like, for some subtle flavorings.

I like to give it 15 minutes in a 425 degree oven, then cover it and turn the temp down to around 350 or so. That crisps up the skin nicely. (Not that I eat much of it anymore, sigh.)

Callisto, you might want to give some other store's chickens a look. If you have a Kroger's, they often have a few varieties of seasoned chickens from which to choose!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We sometimes get roasted chicken from Bi-Lo or Food Lion, but I usually roast it or use my Showtime rotisserie. Bi-Lo has more choices, as far as seasonings, but I don't like most of them. I know they have lemon-pepper and some others, but when we get that I always get the regular. You have a lot more options at home of course. I've got a whole chicken in the freezer, so will likely be pulling the Showtime rotisserie out (I love that thing!).

Barbara

Tags
None