ISO 40 cloves of garlic chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KARLYN

Assistant Cook
:( does anyone out there have a recipe for garlic chicken. i been itching to make this but i can't find the recipe anywhere pls. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karlyn, do you use Google as your search engine? If you click this link and type "chicken 40 cloves garlic", you get over half a million hits.

Google

I love baked chicken pieces the best. I foil a baking sheet with heavy duty foil, and spray that with Pam. I shake the chicken pieces up in a bag with a cup of flour and some poultry seasoning, then place the floured pieces on top of a HEAD of UNPEELED cloves of garlic (the garlic is separated and the cloves act like a rack for my chicken pieces). Sprinkle with season salt and pepper.

Bake the chicken at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes. The chicken is done, the skin is crispy, and the garlic can be served as is. Each person can squeeze the garlic out of it's skins at the table. Easy, delicious, and with the heavy-duty foil, no clean-up!

Lee

I cooked a couple of leg quarters with garlic for dinner last night. I browned them in a pan, (no added oil), put in 5 or 6 whole cloves of garlic and about a pound of mushrooms, sliced. I deglazed the pan with about a cup of dry vermouth and a little water.

I baked it in the oven for 25 minutes or so, and then thickened the pan juices with some cornstarch. Served over jasmine rice with a side of fresh picked aspargus--it was pretty dang good, if I do say so myself.

Here's my version. My family loves this stuff. I always remove the garlic cloves and puree that, then incorporate some of the garlic paste into some mashed potatoes, and store the remainder in the fridge.

40 Cloves of Garlic and a Chicken with Gravy
Yields: 4 servings

This is a surprisingly simple dish to make, especially if you have a large cast iron skillet. And, while this sounds like a lot of garlic, once it’s roasted, the garlic takes on a nutty, sweet, flavor. I like to use a little of the roasted garlic in the gravy, then puree and store the rest for later uses.

1 whole chicken (broiler/fryer), cut into 8 pieces
2 T oil
½ t thyme
½ t sage
40 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 c chicken stock
3 T cornstarch mixed with ¼ c water

Preheat oven to 350°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with the 2 T olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat. Remove from heat, add the thyme, sage, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Remove pan from the oven, then remove the chicken and let rest for 5 - 10 minutes on a serving platter. Remove the garlic and puree, to use in the gravy or for later.
Place the roasting pan (this is why I like to use a cast iron skillet) over a burner, and over medium heat, caramelize the drippings until they take on a dark brown color. Pour off the fat into a heat-proof container. Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock, stirring and scraping to dissolve all the browned goodness from the drippings. Reduce the stock by half, then strain into another pan. Bring the stock back to a boil, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture while stirring the stock. Once it tightens into a smooth gravy, remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the gravy over the chicken.

I pierce a lemon and insert it in the cavity of the bird along with the garlic, and if I have it, fresh sage and thyme. The result has a sort of Meditteranean flavor that goes well with couscous and cucumber salad.

Back
Top Bottom