"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Thanks JC! I don't have all the ingrediments so I'll buy some shallots and whatever else it takes.

I'll update the topic when I have cooked the recipe myself.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I've actually never made it with shallots. I use whatever onions I have -- I always have onions in the house. The great thing about peasant food is you can use what you have. That's what they did.

But, then again, I treat recipes as a basic framework, and do whatever I feel like doing that particular day. Usually works... usually.

CD

“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Well I need other ingrediments so no prob to grab a few shallots too. The real deal breaker is I have no red wine, so as long as I'm at the market might as well grab a few shallots.

A lot of the time I get hungry and I just open my fridge and pantry and ask myself, "What dinners do I see here?"

Alas, tonight it was the nuke option... not motivated enough to actually cook.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Alas, tonight it was the nuke option... not motivated enough to actually cook.
LOL, today was pretty much the same for me. I am "grazing" tonight. I just grab something in the fridge, and eat it. I have a bunch or tortillas in the fridge. You can put just about anything on a tortilla and it will work.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #25
Head Chef

Two thumbs up for Greg and Caseydog...

Tags
chicken, ideas, mushroom, mushrooms, recipe, sauce

ISO braised chicken with mushrooms & sauce recipe ideas I'm looking for a reasonable braised chicken in mushrooms and sauce recipe suitable for cooking in a covered pan. I have a wok inspired pan (non-stick aluminum, curved sides, flat bottom, glass cover) that I often braise in. -- If necessary I can make one of the French mother sauces as I have both chix broth and milk to base the sauce on. I have: chicken thighs, skin on crimeni mushrooms (baby bells) chix stock or milk (if I have to make the sauce separately) choice of Marsala, port or white wine for simmering liquid all the usual spices + S & P EVOO of course butter flour a yellow onion mustard and other usual condiments balsamic vinegar fresh garlic fresh tomatoes sun dried tomatoes in EVOO Parmesan cheese (grated) I do not have cream and I'm sorta not well and not willing to drive to market. I'm thinking something along the lines of dredge chix thighs in seasoned flour and brown, set aside, add EVOO (or butter) and saute the quartered mushrooms and a bit of minced garlic, then return chix and add appropriate liquids and other ingredients. I'll be happy with just general ideas on which of the above to use. There is no need to suggest amounts of ingredients, I've been cooking long enough and in fact often just add what looks right without measuring. :smile: I'll appreciate ideas as to which ingredients to use and the gist of the recipe suggestion. BTW I intend to serve with brown rice or maybe baked potato. Thanks in advance! 3 stars 1 reviews