"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO- Chinese Orange and/or Lemon Chicken recipe

Have you ever been to a chinese buffet or grocery store deli and they have these breaded chicken that has a thick orange and or thick lemon sauce or glaze on them? Not the hot spicy one. I have tried to find a recipe for ages, and can't seem to find a tried and true good one. anybody have some to share?

Old 02-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Debbie, I've made this about 3 times. This comes out similar to the ones I have at Chinese restos. Good luck!

Lemon Chicken

Ingredients:

2 T Custarf powder
2 pcs Chicken leg & thigh, skin-onm deboned, pounded very thin
2 ½ T Lemon juice concentrate
½ T Butter
½ t Salt
½ t White pepper
½ pc Lemon, thinly sliced
¼ t Crushed ginger

1 T Cassava powder (or Double A powder or Tapioca Starch)
diluted in 2 T water
1 T Sugar
¼ C Water
Drop Yellow food coloring
Cornstarch for dredging

Procedure:
  • Marinate chicken with custard powder and ginger. Moisten with 1 ½ T water. Marinate overnight.
  • Before frying, season chicken with S&P. Dredge in cornstarch. Deep fry.
  • For the Sauce: In a pan, simmer lemon concentrate, sugar, water, salt, food color, and slurry from AA powder. Add sliced lemons.
  • When chicken is crisp, drain excess oil. Add butter to sauce and immediately throw into boiling sauce. Toss to glaze the chicken only so you don’t lose crisp texture. Serve.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
This is a recipe I use for almond chicken, but I subbed orange preserves last time I made it and it turned out nicely. I am thinking about trying to substitute orange juice for the chicken broth next time in the sauce for a little more orange flavor. I also added some cornstarch to the frying batter.

4 CHICKEN BREASTS, CUT IN STRIPS (easier to cut if frozen)

SAUCE:
1 CUP CHK BROTH
18 OZ JAR PEACH JAM
2 1/2 T CORNSTARCH
2 1/2 T VINEGAR

BATTER:
2 EGGS
1 CUP FLOUR
1 CUP WATER
1/2 TSP SALT
ADD 1-2 T CORNSTARCH TO "CRISP" UP BATTER

SLICED ALMONDS

PREPARE BATTER INGREDIENTS. LET CHICKEN "MARINATE" FOR 10-15 MINUTES. DEEP FRY CHICKEN IN BATTER TILL GOLDEN, DRAIN. COMBINE SAUCE INGREDIENTS, COOK TILL THICKENED. PLACE CHICKEN IN BAKING DISH, POUR SAUCE OVER. SPRINKLE WITH ALMONDS. BAKE 350 30-40 MINUTES

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Thank you chopstix and Shannon :)
Old 02-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Master Chef

I am so glad you brought this up, Debbie. Once when we were on vacation, we had Orange Chicken from a Chinese take-out place, and it was so good!
I just now found this recipe on the web that sounds like what we had.

Orange Glazed Chicken with Rice

* 1/2 cup flour
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (or use 1 broiler fryer chicken, cut up)
* 1 large orange, seedless
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups orange juice
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* hot cooked rice
* 1 green onion, with green part, sliced

Combine flour and salt in a food storage bag or paper bag; add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and toss to coat well. Reserve remaining flour mixture.

Grate 1 teaspoon of peel from orange; reserve. Peel the orange and separate into sections. Cut each section into 4 pieces; set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken pieces and brown quickly on both sides, about 5 minutes. Combine reserved flour mixture, orange peel, orange juice, and sugar; stir well. Stir orange juice mixture into the skillet; cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Prepare rice while chicken is cooking. Spoon hot rice onto a serving dish; top with chicken pieces. Stir orange pieces and green onion into the skillet; heat through. Spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken and serve the rest on the side. Serves 4 to 5.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I am so glad you brought this up, Debbie. Once when we were on vacation, we had Orange Chicken from a Chinese take-out place, and it was so good!
I just now found this recipe on the web that sounds like what we had.

Orange Glazed Chicken with Rice

* 1/2 cup flour
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (or use 1 broiler fryer chicken, cut up)
* 1 large orange, seedless
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups orange juice
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* hot cooked rice
* 1 green onion, with green part, sliced

Combine flour and salt in a food storage bag or paper bag; add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and toss to coat well. Reserve remaining flour mixture.

Grate 1 teaspoon of peel from orange; reserve. Peel the orange and separate into sections. Cut each section into 4 pieces; set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken pieces and brown quickly on both sides, about 5 minutes. Combine reserved flour mixture, orange peel, orange juice, and sugar; stir well. Stir orange juice mixture into the skillet; cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Prepare rice while chicken is cooking. Spoon hot rice onto a serving dish; top with chicken pieces. Stir orange pieces and green onion into the skillet; heat through. Spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken and serve the rest on the side. Serves 4 to 5.
Yummy this sounds good! have you made it yet???
Old 02-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Master Chef

Not yet, Debbie. I'd actually forgotten about the dish until you brought it up the other day. I looked through several recipes on the web, and this one sounded a lot like what I remember, except I don't remember it having the orange segments it it. It's been a long while ago, though.
Why don't we both try it out, and see what kinds of little perks it needs?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Hi Debbie.

This looks so close to the Orange Sesame Chicken I've had at takeout restaurants, because it has the honey and sesame seeds. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I will omit the hot stuff, as I don't care for spicy food. I wouldn't pay attention to the organic stuff. Sure regular ingredients would be fine, IMO.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...rangechic.html
Old 02-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Not yet, Debbie. I'd actually forgotten about the dish until you brought it up the other day. I looked through several recipes on the web, and this one sounded a lot like what I remember, except I don't remember it having the orange segments it it. It's been a long while ago, though.
Why don't we both try it out, and see what kinds of little perks it needs?
ok sounds good :)
Old 02-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Hi Debbie.

This looks so close to the Orange Sesame Chicken I've had at takeout restaurants, because it has the honey and sesame seeds. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I will omit the hot stuff, as I don't care for spicy food. I wouldn't pay attention to the organic stuff. Sure regular ingredients would be fine, IMO.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...rangechic.html

ohhh this looks good too.. hmmmmmmm
I don't bother with Organic stuff either, actually I saw a show the other day .. hmmm was it 20/20? anyways.. they said by the time the produce gets to the market any reside from pesticides is gone anyways... BUT what is bad, I guess, is what the pesticides leave in the soil.

Tags
None