ISO Chopped Chicken Liver Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsag

Assistant Cook
Hi.
I am looking for a really great chopped chicken liver pate or salad what ever you want to call it. I have read plenty of them but I am looking for something a little different or some little ingredient added that makes a difference or makes it special.:chef:

Thanks
mrsag

THANKS
I want to try several recipes so I will definatly use this one.
mrsag:chef:

My friend Bernie makes great chopped chicken liver. I know he adds caramalized onions, chicken broth, and a couple of chopped hardboiled eggs.
I'll get his recipe and share it with you.

This isn't "chopped" chicken liver, but was one of my Czech grandmother's traditional appetizers. These days, since husband isn't a chicken liver fan, I make it for myself sometimes as a meal.

1 container chicken livers
More butter than is good for you
Juice from one lemon
Caraway seeds
Salt & pepper to taste

Melt an obscene amount of butter in a pan. Add chicken livers & saute until no longer pink. Add lemon juice, caraway seeds, salt, & pepper to taste. Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer, or serve over white rice as a meal.

this recipe of your czech grandma is not what i was looking for butttt!my hubby would love this because he love fried chicken livers!
Thanks

Constance your recipe is more on the pace of what i am looking for I would appreciate it if its that good to be able to try it.
thank you also

mrsag

Mrsag...here you go...Bernie's Chopped Chicken Livers.

1 package of chicken livers from your supermarket or butcher a pound
2 large onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled, coarsely chopped
some sherry to "lubricate"
salt and peper to taste.
canola oil [or bacon fat, if you like flavor, and don't heed cholesterol] for sauteing
Process: Saute onions, seasoned with salt and pepper [garlic optional] until translucent, and starting to brown.
During this wash and dry livers. Add to skillet. Break up and turn as they brown. When no longer red or pink, move to a wooden chopping bowl or a chopping board, with fried onions and chopped hard eggs
Chop all in bowl wih "mezaluna" or a Chef Knife on a flat board. Add salt and pepper to taste, and a tbsp of sherry. Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
Eat on toast or crackers.

Last edited:
Thanks Constance,
I think that little bit of sherry makes it different from most other recipes.Will definatly do this one.
Really appreciate the time you took.

mrsag

No problem at all...I hope you enjoy it.

My friend Bern is 77 yrs old, a retired engineering consultant who has worked and lived all over the world. He considers his cooking "edible art", and I tend to agree.

Last edited:
Mrsag - I hope your husband will like it. I know that it wasn't a chopped chicken liver recipe, but always tend to throw it out there when someone asks about chicken livers because chances are if they like chopped chicken liver, they'll like them sauteed as well - lol!!!

I make this one and never have any left.

Liver Pate
saute till liver is done and not crispy
as it is cooking mash liver with fork
1-lb Chicken liver chopped
1/4 cup diced onion
3 tbl butter
add 1 - 8 oz cream cheese and mix in to liver mixture till blended
then add
1/4 tsp each oregano & basil
chopped pepperoni (never measured it but would say about 1/2 cup (I have used cooked bacon too)
salt and pepper to taste.
place into a plastic wrap lined bowl or container refridge till firm and when ready to serve remove from container onto plate and serve with your favorite crackers.

I love this hot also.
When I plate it I put it on top of plate of large leaf lettuce and then put hard boil eggs wedges -red & green peppers rings around it.

I used to gobble up liver pate. Until I learned to cook and discovered that recipes for liver pate normally call for at least half part butter to one part liver. I've even seen recipes with 1:1 butter to liver ratio. Since then, I've been cautious when eating liver pate, and has never made it myself.

Thanks to Constance and Letscook, I will try making liver pate using your recipes since they call for no butter or very little of it. :)

1 lb chicken(or veal liver, yum)
1 onion, diced and sweated
1 hard boiled egg
4 T rendered chicken fat

Sautee liver of chioce, add onion, deglaze with a little sherry, and fat.

Put in a mixing bowl, and diced hard boiled egg, and mix to desired consistancy. Suitable for all mashugnas!

looking for some chopped chicken liver action, i had to bump this thread from 2006! it's been way too long since i've seen chopped chicken liver anywhere--on a menu, in a deli, or enjoyed it at a friend's house. i never learned to make it myself, but now that will have to change. one of the farms where i buy my organic eggs also sells chickens, and now they are offering healthy, organic chicken livers for sale, too!
tattrat, your recipe is one i'd like to try. can you tell me if i can substitute duck fat for the rendered chicken fat without a problem? and, how important is the sherry to the flavor of this dish?
gawd, my mouth is watering just thinking about this delish, much-missed treat....

Last edited:
my buddy ozzy used to make chicken liver meatballs loaded with thyme and garlic, browned them in bacon fat, sauteed gizzards in butter and more bacon fat, made a sort of thin gravy and finished everything in the gravy.

well, that all sounds yummy too, bt. by chicken liver meatballs, do you mean a ground meat mixture combined with what(?)-- raw or lightly sauteed chicken liver pieces, and then fried? do you have anything like an approximate recipe for this, bt?
nuts! my chopped chicken liver aspirations will have to be put on hold for awhile. as i was posting my questions re the chch liver recipe here, polyface farms ran out of chicken livers to sell! i'm hoping next week....

Vit,

If you don't have sherry, try cognac or fresh lemon juice.

Also try making a batch of Chicken livers alla Caruso!

This video goes into great detail and uses Pomi tomatoes, in a box. I would just make a pot of sauce and freeze it in portions or use a good jarred sauce. When you are in the mood for Chicken livers alla Caruso just saute a few mushrooms and chicken livers dusted with seasoned flour, add a cup or two of sauce and dinner is ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta!

Pasta Recipes: Italian Food: Italian Food Recipes: Spaghetti Recipes: Pasta Alla Caruso - YouTube

Last edited:
Vit,

If you don't have sherry, try cognac or fresh lemon juice.

Also try making a batch of Chicken livers alla Caruso!

This video goes into great detail and uses Pomi tomatoes, in a box. I would just make a pot of sauce and freeze it in portions or use a good jarred sauce. When you are in the mood for Chicken livers alla Caruso just saute a few mushrooms and chicken livers dusted with seasoned flour, add a cup or two of sauce and dinner is ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta!

Pasta Recipes: Italian Food: Italian Food Recipes: Spaghetti Recipes: Pasta Alla Caruso - YouTube

chicken livers alla caruso looks positively scrumptious! ty, aunt bea. only, it seems the liver is cooking for nearly 1/2 hour, total, in that vid. do i want to be doing that? i've always thought chicken livers should be barely cooked through.

well, that all sounds yummy too, bt. by chicken liver meatballs, do you mean a ground meat mixture combined with what(?)-- raw or lightly sauteed chicken liver pieces, and then fried? do you have anything like an approximate recipe for this, bt?
nuts! my chopped chicken liver aspirations will have to be put on hold for awhile. as i was posting my questions re the chch liver recipe here, polyface farms ran out of chicken livers to sell! i'm hoping next week....

i'm not exactly sure, vit, but i think he seared them off just a little, then chopped them fine and added an egg, breadcrumbs, and the herbs and garlic.

it's been a while since he made them. :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom