"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I'm running out of time otherwise I would have found it for you. Alton brown did a show on it. Go to food network and search for Alton's recipe. It looked great.

Got to fly,

JDP

Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Sous Chef

If you marinate any meat in wine before cooking, simmer it to reduce the alcohol content first. Tip from Thomas Keller.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Everymom

Its all prepped and ready for them to turn on the oven and finish it. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how they liked this version.

1 cup diced ham
1 clove garlic smashed
5-6 chicken thighs (coated in flour and some thyme)
1 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup red wine
2~ tbsps brandy
small handful brown sugar
few tbsps of thyme, a bay leaf
s&p

I did the ham and some garlic in the frying pan and then moved it to the casserole dish. Tossed the thighs in to brown the outsides. Deglazed with some of the broth and then added some flour as a roux and added more wine and brandy. Tossed in the herbs etc then too. Poured the slightly thickened sauce over the meat and set it aside for the family to finish later. Will serve with either pasta or rice.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
i'm back and here is Alton's recipe:

Recipes : Coq au Vin : Food Network

JDP
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I generally use a somewhat modified version of this Tyler Florence recipe:

Recipes : Coq au Vin : Food Network

I won't copy the entire ingredients list, but here's the gist:

-Fry Bacon, remove (I do NOT put it back in, but I do serve it w/everything)
-Flour chicken and brown in bacon drippings
-Flame chicken in brandy (I do this before adding veggies, Tyler does after)
-Add veggies
-Add fluids & herbs
-Simmer for 1 hr+
-Open top and let reduce (I only let it go down for maybe 5 minutes)

I generally serve it in "deconstructed" (although not really, because it was all cooked together, this is just plating) fashion, because it allows me to plate it more attractively than just stew on a plate.

I generally use drumsticks instead of chicken thighs because I think they can be easier to eat, and the skin browns more attractively, IMO.

My other major departure is that I tend to just chop normal onions coarsely intead of using the pearl onions. I *hate* peeling a billion little tiny pearl onions, as I've yet to buy goggles and I cry like a baby.

I pick the chicken out and then strain the sauce, collecting the veggies. Then I pick the herbs out of the vegetables. I like to keep each component seperate as it keeps things from getting too soggy.

Before serving, I will sometimes pop the drumsticks back in the oven in a pan by themselves at like 450 just to crisp them a little.

I usually serve it with either some truffled mashed potatoes or some sliced potatoes fried in duck fat. Something hearty.

Coq Au Vin makes a wicked appetizer too, if you want to get elaborate. I then do it micro-sized, with "buffalo wing" mini drumsticks, two per person, plated with a little bit of veggies & bacon, some cauliflower/potato puree (stolen from Pat O'Connell's cookbook), and sauce drizzled around.

In all honestly, it's probably my favorite dish. It's often what I fall back on when I have to serve people something that tastes somewhat impressive but doesn't take a million years or a lot of fuss to prepare.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
IMO it's good to to marinate the chix in the wine before stewing. Like Boeuf Bourguignon.
Put the two recipes side by side and you will see they ARE the same recipe.... that is, if you are using classic renditions of the dish. I love 'em both, but I tend to make the Beef B version more often. not sure why.....
Old 02-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
Everymom

Hey BrazenAmateur, I love the idea of doing this for an appy with wings. COOL, thanks.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

if you want to get really technical in the classic rendition, use a rooster, hence coq.
i've never had anything but chicken, but a rooster is supposed to make the gravy richer.

anyone ever have co..., umm, rooster?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Hey BrazenAmateur, I love the idea of doing this for an appy with wings. COOL, thanks.
Can't say that I can necessarily take credit for the wings idea, I saw that in some restaurant's rendition of a deconstructed Coq au Vin, although theirs was actually deconstructed in the sense that it wasn't cooked together, it wasn't just a serving gimmick.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #20
Everymom

You can take credit for the idea here. LOL. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
None