"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Everymom

ISO Coq au Vin

OK, as unbelievable as this sounds I can't find the recipe I use for coq au vin on our Search. ARGH! I know I got it here. I'm pretty sure it was from a discussion with either GB or buckytom. If anyone either has a good quick recipe for me, or is more efficient with the search function today can you help me out please? Thanks so much. I have the chicken thawing and ready to rock.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Here is what we go by...

1/2 cup flour
salt
pepper
Chicken thighs..as many as you want
6 slices bacon
1 or 2 onions
8 oz. mushrooms
thyme to taste
2 or 3 bay leaves or more
hand full of parsley
carrots.. as few or as many as you like
chicken stock....2 cups or so.
1 cup burgundy wine
2 or 3 toes of garlic crushed

Fry the bacon crisp and remove. Salt, pepper & flour chicken and fry over medium heat until brown. Rmove to a plate(paper towels) add onions and mushrooms to pan and cook 5 minutes or so. Place chicken, crumbled bacon, etc. everything else...cook for 1 hour or longer.

Thats the quick version...You can fry the chicken in the bacon drippings if you like..I do not! I use canola! I also par-boil carrots sometimes 2 or 3 times as I do not like the sweetness it gives. A whole chicken can be used but the breast meat will...well you know!

Hope this helps!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

We do it almost as uncle bob..
we just add about 12-16 pearl onions to the mushrooms and use some pancetta or diced salt pork,butter and a pinch of sugar to lightly brown the onions and mushrooms. The chicken we brown first in butter, then flame with brandy, ( most times, i forgo this) then sprinkle with chopped shallots, add wine, parsley and a bay leaf and thyme..cover and let simmer 35-40 min. When I plate the chicken, the juices left in the pan it cooked in I add some combined flour and butter to to thicken it. Then pour it over the chicken along with the mushroom and onion mix.not exact, but an idea of the seasonings and herbs I use.
kadesma
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Everymom

Thanks Uncle Bob and kadesma! I knew someone would rescue me! Those both sound like winners. I'm afraid I don't have any bacon (weird!) or pancetta so I'll do a little improv there with some ham chunks. Mostly I needed rough estimates on the liquid amounts and the herbs. I knew thyme but was blank on any others. THANK YOU!!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

You have no bacon drippings????

Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Thanks Uncle Bob and kadesma! I knew someone would rescue me! Those both sound like winners. I'm afraid I don't have any bacon (weird!) or pancetta so I'll do a little improv there with some ham chunks. Mostly I needed rough estimates on the liquid amounts and the herbs. I knew thyme but was blank on any others. THANK YOU!!
Alix,
about 2 Tab. brandy if using
1-c. wine
I don't know how much chicken you're using I use I cut up chicken about 3 lbs. Plus I sometimes add 1/2 c. chicken stock, we like more sauce with the chicken. If you don't want smokieness from the ham, leave it out. I've made this with out bacon or pancetta and it was fine.
kadesma
Old 02-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

YES YES...you must have sauce/gravy/lots of juice....what else will you dunk your bread in?? Make it juciy with wine and chicken stock!!

Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Everymom

Nope, no bacon. I know, criminal really, but there you have it. I'm doing about 2lbs of thighs kadesma, and I'm going to be leaving it for the girls and Ken to heat up. I'm just hoping for a few leftovers!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Master Chef

IMO it's good to to marinate the chix in the wine before stewing. Like Boeuf Bourguignon.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
IMO you need to marinate the chix in the wine before stewing. Like Boeuf Bourguignon.
Oooooooo! Running up to do that right now! Thanks!

Tags
None