ISO domestic Duck advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's a good idea to separate the parts. I disagree completely that you should skin the breasts!

When I cook duck breasts I do it with the skin on. Use a sharp knife to cut a cross hatch pattern in the skin. Cut into the skin but not into the meat. Make the cuts between 1/4" and 1/2" apart. Place the breast(s) skin side down in a skillet over medium heat and let the fat render and the skin crisp. You may want to spoon off some of the fat as it renders. Most of the cooking is done on the skin side to render off the fat. Then a quick sear on the other side and you are done. I cook them to medium.
Let them rest then serve as is our pre-sliced.

You can do the legs as he said, they don't have as much fat as the breasts.

Save the duck fat. It's kitchen gold.

I've never done domestic ducks.

I've only done wild but I like to roast the whole duck on a rack at high heat.

Crispy skin is wonderful and a hot oven is good for that.

Keep an eye on temperature and don't overcook.

For seasoning simple S&P is how I go. I want the bird to speak for itself.

Good luck with however you decide to prepare it.

I think it's a good idea to separate the parts. I disagree completely that you should skin the breasts!

When I cook duck breasts I do it with the skin on. Use a sharp knife to cut a cross hatch pattern in the skin. Cut into the skin but not into the meat. Make the cuts between 1/4" and 1/2" apart. Place the breast(s) skin side down in a skillet over medium heat and let the fat render and the skin crisp. You may want to spoon off some of the fat as it renders. Most of the cooking is done on the skin side to render off the fat. Then a quick sear on the other side and you are done. I cook them to medium.
Let them rest then serve as is our pre-sliced.

You can do the legs as he said, they don't have as much fat as the breasts.

Save the duck fat. It's kitchen gold.

YES! To ALL of this!

A duck isn't like preparing a chicken. The breasts are best served medium rare(IMO), legs make an exceptional confit. Rendered skin=fat to fry potatoes, or anything really. The carcass, rubbed with some tomato paste, and on a bed of mirepoix, roasted off makes for the beginning of amazing stock.

When paying good money for a nice duck, treat it as so.

I've never cooked duck, but watched Alton Brown's Good Eats last week. He spatchcocked his duck, cutting out the backbone, and cooked it breast side down as I recall. High heat first to render the fat, then turned it down. He left all the skin on and saved the rendered fat to cook potatoes.

Last edited:
I've cooked a lot of wild duck. I've only cooked domestic duck twice. All of the advice from TattRat and AndyM is good. Given the price of duck, I'd go all out and definitely render the fat.

I cook domestic duck all the time. I believe that duck is one of the four major food groups. I currently have 2 whole ducks, a package of legs that I confited(sp?) and 2 tubs of rendered duck fat all in my freezer. Around here, that won't last long.

Although I've roasted a few of them whole, that method really does injustice to the breast. The leg takes a long slow cook to properly tenderize, but the breast is best eaten medium rare. Andy & Tat really have it right. Divide the parts and cook them separately. Leave the skin on the breast - once you have rendered out the fat, the crisp skin is the best part.

Back
Top Bottom