ISO Duck Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just bend quickly at the knees, dropping your butt as you lower your head.

Last edited:
I've done duck many ways - in a regular oven with oranges, with apricots, with peaches, with cherries, Asian-style with a Five-Spice powder rub - but my hands-down favorite these days is using my trusty good old Ron Popeil "Showtime" rotisserie. Man, does that baby turn out a FABULOUS duck!!! Juicy, crisp-skinned, & nearly grease-free. And no smoking or spattering. Completely amazing. Haven't roasted a duck in my regular oven since I've had the rotisserie (quite a few years now).

BreezyCooking said:
I've done duck many ways - in a regular oven with oranges, with apricots, with peaches, with cherries, Asian-style with a Five-Spice powder rub - but my hands-down favorite these days is using my trusty good old Ron Popeil "Showtime" rotisserie. Man, does that baby turn out a FABULOUS duck!!! Juicy, crisp-skinned, & nearly grease-free. And no smoking or spattering. Completely amazing. Haven't roasted a duck in my regular oven since I've had the rotisserie (quite a few years now).

Thanks for the input.

Thanks other guys for the non advice. :glare:

If you have a couple of duck breasts, here's a method that will make you think you've died and gone to heaven!!!

I wrote these instructions up for a cook just starting out, so it's pretty basic.

PAN-SEARED DUCK BREAST

4 boneless duck breasts -- thawed if frozen (6-8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper

Score skin on each duck breast with three or four shallow incisions, taking care not to cut the flesh; season with salt and pepper.

Heat a sauté pan over high. Add duck, skin side down, to the hot, dry pan; reduce heat to low, cover with a splatter screen (or cover other burners, this is just so you don't make a mess over everything), and cook for 10 minutes.

Remove breasts, pour off accumulated fat into a small container AND KEEP!!!), then return them to the pan, skin side down again.

Sauté until skin is crisp, about 10 minutes more. Turn breasts over, cook 2 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board. Allow duck to rest 5 minutes before slicing. The breasts should be about 128-132 F.

That's all there is to it! Serve it with whatever you want - if nothing else buy some great bread on the way home and just have a duck sandwich!! You eat skin and all on the duck breasts - Enjoy!!

Once they are in the hot pan, don't move them for 10 minutes, then remove and drain off the liquid 'gold' - Probably be best to use your cast iron skillet or another real heavy one.

It's next to impossible to get duck here, so I have almost no experience with cooking it.

When we lived in the Washington, D.C. area, I cooked it a couple of times, but that was too many years ago to remember what I did.

Hope you get more good responses.

Thanks for the Skillet Duck idea, I dont have a rotesseire right now so thats the way Ill have to go. Do you put anything in the pan? Do I serve it with Duck Sauce? I plan to eat it by itself w/ a side of alfalfa sprouts and some dough balls w/ soy.

No, you don't need to put anything in the skillet - putting the duck pcs in fat side down, the fat will immediately start melting and becoming liquid gold, so don't discard!!

Well, in keeping with Asian, a plum sauce would be very good with the duck. (I'm not real fond of the old standby orange sauce with duck - personal taste only!)

Enjoy!

I'm not a fan of overly sweet sauces either, but do like orange sauce that's made with a GOOD quality imported orange marmalade, as these tend to be more tart than our domestic brands.

I just melt some marmalade along with some orange juice in a small saucepan, & add in a dollop or so of Grand Marnier, Cointreau, or Triple Sec (all orange liqueurs). Comes out great - tart with a little sweetness to it. Sometimes I'll also add a drained can of Mandarin orange sections as well.

Great advice on serving! I love orange sauces so I plan to whip up somethin good. Im busy all week unfortunately I dont know when Ill get a chance to go to the store and (DUCKHUNT). Next weekend its so on though, Ill let you know how it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom