"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
Cook

We are big fans of turkey burgers, and I use a George Foreman-like grill to grill them--you can put whatever you like in them, but all I use is a little Liquid Smoke. I think they are very yummy.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I'm another big fan of ground turkey. For health reasons we try to limit our red meat. I use ground turkey for all the uses mentioned. I also use it in place of fatty sausage. Just mix some seasonings into the turkey.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Head Chef

Turkey Tetrazzin, Turkey Pot Pie, & Shepherd's Pie (w mashed sweet potatoes & veggies), came to mind. You could sneak some more veggies into the mix. You mentioned you didn't want a loaf or balls, but the loaf mixture can be turned into burgers, or whatever you like.

Spinach Mozzarella Stuffed Loaf

1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 egg whites
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed

Mix the two below together, brush over your loaf & bake as you would a meatloaf:
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

RR has a good recipe for Giant turkey balls, if you would like to give it a try. The ingreds are similar to the above:

Super-Size Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Cheese

Here is an idea for the tetrazzini:
Turkey Tetrazzini
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Two word searches just donít seem to work here. Searching on ground turkey can turn up ground black pepper as well as Turkey Pot Pie.
That's true, but you can use Google to do more specific searches on a specific site. For example, put this in the Google search box:

site:discusscooking.com "ground turkey"

The results will all include the phrase "ground turkey" on the DiscussCooking site.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's true, but you can use Google to do more specific searches on a specific site. For example, put this in the Google search box:

site:discusscooking.com "ground turkey"

The results will all include the phrase "ground turkey" on the DiscussCooking site.
Neat trick! Thanks for that!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

I'm happy to hear about that trick, too, Garlic. I don't have much luck using the search engine here.

Mommy, I wouldn't worry about your little girl not eating meat. Her tastes will change as she gets older. Just make sure she gets other forms of protein, and give her vitamins.
As for ground turkey, you can use it for anything you'd use hamburger for.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
Head Chef

An added note - check out the chicken/turkey recipes here:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/

Aurora, like your suggestion for stuffed cabbage.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

Here's a dish you might try out on your kids. I use ground beef and Italian sausage, but you can use turkey instead.
Cook the turkey in microwave or skillet until all the red is out of the meat. In the meantime, cook elbow macaroni or your favorite pasta. Combine all with jarred spaghetti sauce...it takes 2 jars for a lb. of meat and a lb of pasta.
Add a can of whole kernal corn and another of diced tomatoes, juice and all. If you family likes mushrooms or slice olives, add those too. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
Spoon into a baking dish, cover with 1/4" slices of Velveeta cheese, and cook in 350 oven or microwave until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.

The Velveeta cheese really makes this dish, so don't be tempted to use some fancier type. Everyone loves this...you might even get your daughter to try a bite.

I call this dish "More", because everyone always asks for more.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #19
Everymom

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to help with the search function. When you use it, always use the Advanced Search function, and then limit your search to either titles or to posts featuring your words. The other good trick is to limit the search to a particular area.

For example:

Advanced Search + Ground turkey + Entire Posts + Chicken and Turkey forum only

led me to a jillion threads with lots and lots of info. I actually think I might need to go back and read some more as there are great ideas there. I took a peek at the ground chicken one too and it was great.

Thanks for the tip on Google there Garlic, thats a good one!

Welcome aboard EmsMommy7, I am glad to see you found us and are jumping right in. For my part, my favorite ground turkey recipe is sweet and sour meatballs. I'm not a big fan of turkey with tomato sauce. Have you tried turkey enchiladas, fajitas and that sort of stuff? If he likes wraps, well you can be pretty versatile with the turkey bits. I actually get a recipe every month from Alberta Turkey producers, I'll start posting them here too. I just didn't think most folks liked turkey as much as I do!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #20
Head Chef

Hey, I'll take that taco seasoning recipe!

You might say I'd GOBBLE it UP!

ark ark ark hahaha

Tags
None