"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Sous Chef

the ones i get are already cooked. so i basically just sautee them with onions and garlic and heat them up.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

I cut them into bite sized pieces, flour them and brown them in oil; when they are almost done I add onions (chopped but pretty big) and quartered mushrooms. Season them with salt and whatever other spice charms me from my cupboard but usually a tad of garlic and some basil. When everything is cooked through I flame the pan with brandy and serve them with Mashed Potatoes which contain an obscene amount of butter and milk. It's definately a major cholesteral bomb but my husband calls it chicken candy. We have them about once or twice a year. Caution - they are addictive!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Chicken Livers

I just fixed them tonight for supper.

I take the livers and remove the little fatty particles (kitchen shears work good for this) cut the larger ones in half, put the livers on a paper towel until I'm ready to fry them.

First I fry about 5 strips of bacon until crisp.
Remove from pan. Crumble the bacon.

Using the bacon grease, I slice and fry a medium size onion, just until tender.
Remove from pan.

Season the livers with salt and pepper, flour. (shake them in a baggie) put them in the skillet. Tonight I started them in a not too hot skillet, it reduced the exploding. Covered with a screen, they can explode big time, turned the heat up, fried on one side 3 minutes, turned them over and cooked another two minutes. You may have to add a little butter here if the flour soaked up all the grease, added the onions and bacon.

Gave them a stir, fried only long enough to reheat the onions and bacon.
Serve with steamed rice(Jasmine) and green beans.

GOOD GRAZING!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Country-fried Chicken Livers

My family loves these fried chicken livers. Wash livers & soak about an hour in milk & salt to remove bitterness; rinse & drain. Have 3 bowls 1) flour seasoned with salt & pepper 2) Milk & a beaten egg, & 3) seasoned flour. I use self-rising flour because it gives a crispier coating. Heat a deep fryer to 325. Dip livers in flour, then milk, then seasoned flour. Let sit about 5 minutes for coating to adhere. Slowly lower batch of livers into deep fryer (they will pop, have lid handy!). Put on lid, & fry EXACTLY 7 minutes. Any longer & they will be dry & overcooked. Keep warm in oven on cookie sheet lined with paper towels while finishing the livers. These are so good.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

Charlie/Hungry - that's exactly the way I cook them, but if necessary, I add butter to the bacon grease.Sometimes I add mushrooms. Haven't cooked these in years, though. I know DH won't eat ANY liver substance...oh well, more for me. I know I can get fresh chicken livers at the market here....
Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I usually pan sear them and finish cooking them in a gravy made with onions and garlic. They are well done and still very tender. I serve them over rice.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
Senior Cook

The one that I use is the Rumaki recipe from Saveur magazine online here . I've used it once for our party and will be using this one again as my appetizer for our car club party event this coming May.

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just now realize I didn't post my method of cooking chicken livers. Consider this a casualty of our ice storm.

At any rate, I dredge them in seasoned (salt/pepper) flour. Shake them off and brown them gently in some butter. Once browned, I add some chicken broth, a goodly dash of tarragon, some white wine and let them simmer just until the liquid begins to thicken from the flour that comes off as they were browned. If not thick enough, I'll add a tiny bit more. All this really takes only a few minutes. Once done, I serve them over rice or noodles.

I do the same thing with chicken gizzards and hearts that I slice in "coins," but cook them longer because they need more time to become tender.

Tags
None