"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Help Cooking Chicken Livers

how long should you cook these for

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Executive Chef

depends on the size/weight, how done you like it, etc. Fresh (not frozen) calves liver can be enjoyed med-rare or medium or fully cooked. It is most tender in the rarer states (I like mine medium) Cooked with onions or bacon and onions is very traditional. However, it is awesome after searing to cook with a spicy tomato sauce.

So it depends on thickness, temperature, etc. LIke a steak or chop, bring to room temp and use a hot pan, then depending on your likes anywhere from 2 min per side to 5 min per side. Thinner slices may cook faster than that.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Master Chef

While I'm a lifelong confirmed calves liver hater, I will admit that the one way my mother made it that I found tolerable was pan-sauteeing it until almost done, cutting it into strips, & then adding them to a mushroom/wine/sour cream sauce.

As far as just plain length of time - just pan saute until it's reached the level of doneness you want, as you would with a steak, but leaning towards medium to well without overcooking. Overcooked liver turns into shoeleather very quickly. If you've never made it before, just do a lot of cutting & tasting to determine how you like it, then save that timing knowledge for next time.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Master Chef

My grandma fixed the best calves liver I ever tasted. She seasoned it with salt and pepper, dipped it in flour, and fried it with bacon and onions until browned on one side. Then, when she flipped it over to brown the other side, she reduced the heat, added a little (1/4 cup) of water or Coca Cola, and partially covered it with a lid so it would steam and brown at the same time. As soon as it was fork-tender, she took it out, spooned the onions over the top and served it with mashed potatoes.
I sure would love to have some right now.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Cook

SORRY i meant chicken livers
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Changed the title for you nick to you'll get the response you want. I have a way to cook them but I have to dash right now. I'll post later.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Master Chef

LOL - big BIG difference here - lol!!!

I make my chicken livers the same way my grandmother always did. While she always served these as an appetizer, speared with frilly toothpicks, I make them as an entree for myself.

For one pound she just melted an obscene amount of butter in a pan & sauteed them until nearly done, then added a goodly sprinkling of caraway seeds, some salt & freshly ground black pepper, & the juice from one lemon, sauteed for a minute or two more until cooked through & served. Chicken livers should NOT be served rare - they should be completely cooked through.

Once again, while they shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so over medium/medium-high heat, your best bet is to cut & check. When juices run clear & the centers are no longer pink, they're done.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I don't make them often but I either saute them or bake them till the
center is just a hint of pink.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Master Chef

Mike - with all due respect - these days there truly isn't any part of a chicken that can be safely consumed with a "hint of pink". Chicken livers go by the same rule as the rest of the bird as far as safety is concerned.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Mike - with all due respect - these days there truly isn't any part of a chicken that can be safely consumed with a "hint of pink". Chicken livers go by the same rule as the rest of the bird as far as safety is concerned.
Absolutely right to point that out Breezy -
here is what the USDA has to say about it

"Safe Cooking of Giblets
Traditionally, chicken or turkey giblets are cooked by simmering in water for use in flavoring soups, gravies or poultry stuffing. Once cooked, the liver will become crumbly and the heart and gizzard will soften and become easy to chop. Cooked giblets should have a firm texture. Casseroles containing giblets should be cooked to 165 F. Stuffing should be cooked to 165 F. Chicken giblets are commonly fried or broiled. Leftovers should be refrigerated within 2 hours."

yet I don't follow it - I think the livers are too tough if cooked
completely grey and crumbly, I want them more 'creamy'.
Maybe I'm living dangerously

PS: they recommend roasting chicken till internal temp is 165 -
I usually go to 155-160 - additionally my ancient meat thermometer
has poultry @ 190.

Tags
None