"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

ok sweeet

its all defrosted and i just injected it with some Lawry Maranaide. After work tomorrow, gonna coat it with some canola oil, salt, pepper, grill rub and stick it in the oven. While its going, gonna whip up some instant mashed potatoes, pasta salad, and rice. should be a gooood meal, but worse come to worse, i have 4 frozen pizzas in the fridge as backup ;).

Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
Sous Chef

welcome Damao. Suggestion: don't use any more salt in your coating. and do you realize you are doing 3 starches? Any kind of coloured veggie would go along with this....try some carrots, with butter, orange juice and rosemary.
Colourful and good eating. Use only 1 starch...do another veggie...or, a green salad....Enjoy your dinner!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

hey guys

thanks for all the help! the turkey came out perfect and everyone was quite blown away. everyone is invited to thanksgiving dinner at my house, aite?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by damao33 View Post
ok sweeet

While its going, gonna whip up some instant mashed potatoes, pasta salad, and rice.
I take it you're not on the Atkins diet.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I take it you're not on the Atkins diet.
I would hope that no one follows that plan. Itís been condemned by the American Medical Association, American Dietetic Association, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, and many other leading authorities in the nutritional field.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
Head Chef

There is nothing wrong with the Atkins diet plan. There is nothing wrong with South Beach, Zone, NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, or any other diet plan. There isn't even anything wrong with the Dr. Phil diet plan, and it was written by a full blown idiot. The problem is that dieters refuse to READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the Atkins diet plan. There is nothing wrong with South Beach, Zone, NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, or any other diet plan. There isn't even anything wrong with the Dr. Phil diet plan, and it was written by a full blown idiot. The problem is that dieters refuse to READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!
Tell that to the American Medical Association, American Dietetic Association, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, and many other leading authorities in the nutritional field. I kind of side with them.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Tell that to the American Medical Association, American Dietetic Association, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, and many other leading authorities in the nutritional field. I kind of side with them.
I don't, because the ADA, AMA, AHA, and ACS are the main contributors to the current food pyrimid, and they got the durn thing UPSIDE DOWN! Oh, and C. Everet Koop has fallen and he can't get up! The perfect balance for just about anyone except maybe long distance runners, is 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat. If you're a runner, you can go as high as 60% carbs, and if you are a body builder, you'll want reverse the carb and protein percentages.

Basically, the average American eats too much of EVERYTHING, so no matter which of the food types you remove from their diet, be it protein, carbs, or fat, they're gonna lose weight because you just removed at least 1/3 of their calorie intake! Add a little exercise, and you've got safe, healthy weight loss!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't, because the ADA, AMA, AHA, and ACS are the main contributors to the current food pyrimid, and they got the durn thing UPSIDE DOWN! Oh, and C. Everet Koop has fallen and he can't get up! The perfect balance for just about anyone except maybe long distance runners, is 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat. If you're a runner, you can go as high as 60% carbs, and if you are a body builder, you'll want reverse the carb and protein percentages.

Basically, the average American eats too much of EVERYTHING, so no matter which of the food types you remove from their diet, be it protein, carbs, or fat, they're gonna lose weight because you just removed at least 1/3 of their calorie intake! Add a little exercise, and you've got safe, healthy weight loss!
I agree with this post, but it has nothing to do with the Atkins Diet which is not a good solution for sustained weight control, not to mention it can be dangerous. Your post contains the key......eat less and exercise more. If you burn more calories than you consume then you will lose weight.

For bodybuilding, diet is dependent on whether it is contest season or off-season. During the off-season, carb in-take is greatly increased but during contest season carbs are greatly reduced. Protein stays pretty much constant year-round at the recommended daily intake of 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
Head Chef

Like I said, the only time a diet is dangerous, including Atkins, is when the dieter does not read and follow directions. Atkins reduces your calorie intke from carbs to practically nothing, but, and this is a big but (pun intended!) ONLY FOR TWO WEEKS! After the initial two weeks, you start bringing carbs back into your diet, but you only bring in complex carbohydrates, NOT the simple carbs like sugar, white bread, potatoes, white rice, white flour macaroni, that you USED to eat. The South Beach diet isn't quite as extreme as Atkins concerning carbs in vegetables and dairy products, it limits your saturated fat intake more than Atkins, and it includes exercise, and therefore I recommend South Beach over Atkins to my clients. But, I don't care which diet plan they decide on, I can work with it, as long as they follow it and stay with it.

Tags
None