ISO help making cajun style fried chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaartnaz

Assistant Cook
hi,

i would like to hear some tips on how to make southern fried cajun chicken. what does the buttermilk do and why do you need flour? please tell me what i have to do from step one. thanks.

Welcome to DC! The acid in Buttermilk acts a tenderizer of sorts -- The flour is the coating/breading on the chicken...Heat 3/4 to 1 inch of oil in a cast iron skillet to about 360*...Season the flour with Salt, Pepper, a little garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and just about anything else that makes you happy...Dredge the chicken in the flour, and fry in the hot oil until done. --- "Cajun" Fried Chicken doesn't really exist...People in South Louisiana fry chicken pretty much the same way as people in Arkansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Illinois, Ohio, and New York City do... It's just fried chicken with everyone putting their own personal twist on it....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

hi bob,

i wanted to ask, do you throw the seasoning on the chicken first and then coat with flour? i'm curious to what this does. also i like to ask how can i get a skin that looks like popeye's or church's chicken? thanks.

Season the flour with Salt, Pepper, a little garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and just about anything else that makes you happy...Dredge the chicken in the flour

You season the flour.

You aren't going to get the skins that look like those from a place that uses a commercial pressure fryer. The best you can hope to do is dredge twice (egg/flour/egg/flour) and fry, turning once.

The flour mixture gives you the crust you are asking about. Without the flour the skin would crisp up - but there would be no coating.

Last edited:
hi bob,

i wanted to ask, do you throw the seasoning on the chicken first and then coat with flour? i'm curious to what this does. also i like to ask how can i get a skin that looks like popeye's or church's chicken? thanks.

If you are going to dip the chicken in an egg wash and then in the flour (twice if ya wanna) any seasoning you put on the raw chicken itself will mostly wash off in the egg wash...so it would be a waste of time and resources...So season the flour. However if you are not using an egg wash (some folks don't) then you could season the chicken itself then coat with flour...or you could season both the chicken and the flour --- If you have time you can also dry the chicken as dry as you can with paper towels and place it in the refrigerator for 24 hours (turn several times)...The cold air dries out the skin somewhat which seems to make for a more crispy skin --- You may also try sprinkling on a little extra seasoning just as it comes out of the pan for a little extra kick... flavor wise. So lots of ideas....Choose one or two and...

Have Fun!!!!!

hi bob, thanks so much, here is what i came up with, it still has room for improvement but i'm so proud of myself

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom