ISO Help with Chicken Fajitas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LEFSElover said:
Are there any real 'musts' to make sure I do?'

Pluck the chicken!

Actually, it's all pretty easy. It's the Mexican equivalent of a stir fry. Start by cooking your chicken strips thoroughly, add the "hard" vegetables like peppers and onions, then, as they start to get soft, add any soft vegetables, and finally, add the sauce ingredients, and simmer until the sauce is to the desired consistency. Corn tortillas are best gently fried on both sides, while I prefer my wheat tortillas steamed or nuked to keep them soft.

Last edited:
I marinate my meat and veggies in this mixture, a combo I developed based on several recipes.

1/4 c. lime juice about 2 limes)
3 Tab. EVOO
3 -4 cloves garlic
3 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp liq smoke
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder

the only real Must is to heat the tortilla wraps a little first, that way they roll nicely and don`t break easily Plus they`re easier to separate from each other, doing that Cold can be a nightmare :(
and don`t try to pack in too much filling all in one go (also tempting).

thanks folks.
I am marinating them now in the recipe given. thank you so much as I'd not thought of liquid smoke and it 'will' make the right difference.
the veggies are simple.
red/yellow/green/orange peppers
my yards > onions/garlic/shallots/dill/chives.
tomatoes

So the tortillas should be corn and not flour?
I am all wrong then.
To the market I return again then, I only have whole wheat flour, ff, ones.:(

PS. forgot this part, I cut the lime juice to just one small lime as I was afraid of "cooking" the chicken in it, as like in seviche. still the flavor, but not much juice out of that little tiny lime.:-p

Last edited:
Use lots of lime juice and cumin. Refried beans are also good to spread in the tortilla before you add all the toppings.

Caine said:
Pluck the chicken!

Actually, it's all pretty easy. It's the Mexican equivalent of a stir fry. Start by cooking your chicken strips thoroughly, add the "hard" vegetables like peppers and onions, then, as they start to get soft, add any soft vegetables, and finally, add the sauce ingredients, and simmer until the sauce is to the desired consistency. Corn tortillas are best gently fried on both sides, while I prefer my wheat tortillas steamed or nuked to keep them soft.

Where I buy my chicken, it comes plucked, thank God. I hate doing that to the poor little guy/gal, plus, it's so tedious:ROFLMAO:

carolelaine said:
Use lots of lime juice and cumin. Refried beans are also good to spread in the tortilla before you add all the toppings.
Oh I will, for after I put the stuffing into the torts! Just not to marinate the meat in, done it before with lemon and lime juice and my clucker was a cooked goose by the time it went in the oven.:huh:

Oh, I should of said to marinate the chicken separate from the veggies. Hopefully you figured that out.

I marinate my meat, but not my veggies. Grill the chicken to perfection, then slice it. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat just until it starts to smoke. Add the veggies, and the chicken. Squeeze a little lime juice over that, and serve with warm flour tortillas, cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc.

Thank goodness, dinner was a success!

Dinner was a real treat. I did good thanks to you fine folks.
The chix married well with the wet stuff it sat in.
I didn't soak or marry the veggies, just sauteed them until done and carmelized.
Did the chix then and used the marinade to in the cast iron pot.
Made the rice, it was brown and dolled up to resemble Spanish rice.
I tasted it and tested it for flavor, but for me, that was it as it's off limits.
The pinto's soaked for a hundred years in water only.
I kept adding more water and more and more, then the seasonings until they were soft and maliable (I think I made that word up) and could then put them in the Cuisinart for mashing. I like 'em like that, many don't, they prefer a bean texture. I added some very strange ingredients next. I won't share because you'd all call me a fool, but to my way of thinking, I wanted them to taste a certain way and wasn't giving up until I got close. It worked, I tasted them for spices and left them alone too.

My dinner was a bit of chix and the sauteed veggies.
Husband had the entire enchilada, oh, I mean fajita's with all else.
I did go get both kinds of tortilla's although I had a few flour but wanted more to thump on the hot griddle so hubby could make his own dinner this week while I am gone. Never did use the corn, didn't think they sounded right to me for some reason. Very happy with the results, again, thanks to all who helped me out.

Back
Top Bottom