ISO help with duck breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would save the duck fat at all costs, judging by the way folks swoon over it!

O.K., let's not give up yet. If smoke rather than time is the major issue, I wondered if the breasts couldn't be cooked entirely in the oven. I came across the following recipe with a wine reduction sauce that you can make the day beforehand. I have not tried this method myself, but it looks doable. has anyone else tried something like it? One plus is that you will be able to save $300++ on sous vide equipment!
Thyme-Roasted Duck Breast with Orange-Wine Sauce Recipe | MyRecipes.com
PS. Do NOT do what you and the recipe suggested and discard the fat. Treasure it. Refrigerate it, Use it on a Special Occasion!
Cheers

Sous-vide method is foolproof and I have done it many many times. 1 hour at 60 degrees (or 56, but rare duck is an acquired taste), then take it out of the bag and put on a non-stick pan without fat, skin side down. Brown and crisp up the skin and render some fat and it's ready. For cheap sous-vide method, look here: Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous-Vide Hack | Serious Eats

Alternatively, just put it in a cold pan with no fat, bring to heat and fry for about 10 minutes, then put for 5-10 minutes in a hot oven, still skin down. It should be a little bit pink. Easy. I would not skip the frying-from-cold step. The skin might come out soggy and you do not want that.

Back
Top Bottom