"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO ideas using chicken liver

Defrosting some chicken liver but have yet to decide what to do with them. Any suggestions? (Trying to be creative for the kids) Thanks

Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

Do your kids like chicken livers? Or maybe you're trying to find a creative way to get the kids to eat them in spite of the fact that they don't like them.

If its the former, then you might make them as you would hot wings. Or pan fry them with salt and butter until done, but still tender. Cook up spaghetti noodles, drain, add the livers and butter, and a couple of raw eggs. Stir to let the heat from the noodles cook the egg. Spaghetti Carbanara but with chicken livers instead of bacon. Or maybe with both bacon and livers. Another possibility is to cook, then dice the livers, and add them to StoveTop dressing mix. There is always dirty rice. The cooked and diced livers could be added to a green salad, and dressed with a fruity vinaigrette.

I like to make home-made liverwurst with chicken livers. Simply blend the livers with a bit of pink salt according to package directions. Add finely diced onion, salt, a bit of sugar, and some rendered bacon fat to loosen it up. Place in a loaf pan and cook at 350' F for about 40 minutes.

Liver and saluted mushrooms are great as well.

That should give you a start.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Head Chef

Had PBS going in the background a couple days ago and happened to pay attention when a blurb came on about (Chicken) Liver Reuben Sandwiches. I have not tried these, but sure was intrigued by the idea. So it's on my infinite list of things to try someday. =P

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the ideas!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I always make (Jewish) chopped liver. Not creative for me but if you don't usually make it then your in for a treat. I can give you our family recipe if you need.

Also, I have also made it a few times with fried onions and homemade curry from an Indian cookbook I have. . Also delicious
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I always make (Jewish) chopped liver. Not creative for me but if you don't usually make it then your in for a treat. I can give you our family recipe if you need.

Also, I have also made it a few times with fried onions and homemade curry from an Indian cookbook I have. . Also delicious
Siegal I'd love your recipe for the Jewish chopped liver Please,
kades
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I am always amazed at the ideas the Chief LW can come up with. And always good ones the rest of us might not think of. I actually like chicken livers and didn't need creative ways to use them, but may use the ideas anyway. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Sous Chef

It's so good!

I don't have an exact recipe because I do it by eye and by taste but I can give you a ballpark.

Fry livers in frying pan with some oil. No need to sear and get them very crunchy. Make sure there is No pink

Fry chopped onions in the pan with the liver drippings. Add more oil if needed. It's about 1 part cooked onion to 3 parts cooked liver.

Hard Boil a few eggs. Like 1-2 eggs per lb of liver. Really up to you how much onion v egg v liver

Get out the food grinder ( if you don't have one you can use a food processor but grind the livers, eggs, separate and keep them coarse. Don't want a paste)

I like to add a bit of grated raw onion also.

Season with salt and pepper. I don't usually add additional chicken fat as I cook the onions and liver in plenty of oil (or chicken fat if I have) but its up to you

Serve with sliced raw onion and challah bread. Sometimes ritz crackers. Whatever you got. I suggest challah bread.

Let me know how it comes out!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of my favorite ways to prepare them, even gobbled up by my children when small, is to dredge them lightly in flour. Melt some butter in a large skillet and saute until just a bit crisp, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper as you go.

Turn down the heat and add some chicken broth, a little white wine and some chopped tarragon. Cover and simmer until tender. Serve over rice or noodles. My family preferred rice.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H
One of my favorite ways to prepare them, even gobbled up by my children when small, is to dredge them lightly in flour. Melt some butter in a large skillet and saute until just a bit crisp, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper as you go.

Turn down the heat and add some chicken broth, a little white wine and some chopped tarragon. Cover and simmer until tender. Serve over rice or noodles. My family preferred rice.
Sounds wonderful!

Tags
chicken