ISO Kung Pao Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crewsk, I have made this recipe before. The only thing I did not like was the bamboo shoots. Next time I will leave them out.

Kung Pao Chicken

Ingredients:

3/4 lb. chicken, boned and skinned
2 tbsps. oyster sauce
2 1/2 tbsps. cooking oil
8 small dried red chilies
4 tsps. minced garlic
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1 can (8 oz.) bamboo shoots, sliced and drained
2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup roasted peanuts

Sauce:

3 tbsps. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1/4 cup Chinese black vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsps. hoisin sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsps. chili garlic sauce
2 tsps. sugar

Directions:
Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Marinade chicken with oyster sauce in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl. Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat sides. Add chilies and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes. Remove chicken and chilies from wok. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to wok, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add celery, bell pepper, and bamboo shoots; stir fry for 1 1/2 minutes. Return chicken and chilies to wok; stir fry for 1 minute. Add sauce and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Add peanuts and stir to coat.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sierra -
sounds wonderful!
Is chile garlic sauce something that is readily available in the asian section of the grocery store? (we have a pretty big section, but I've never looked for this particular sauce)

Back
Top Bottom