"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 01-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef
ISO Low-Fat Chicken Recipes

Any TNT low-fat chicken recipes members wish to share?

I've always been a fan of Cooking Light, and try to prepare meals with as little oil/fat as possible.

Question #2 - What is the best, low-fat(wise), oil to cook with... canola, vegetable, peanut, safflower, evoo, etc.? TIA

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Mish, this recipe makes 6 serving, but you could cut it back. It's a salad really and I love it. It does include anchovies in the dressing, while I love them others do not so feel free to omit.
6-c. chicken stock, canned is fine
2-carrots chopped
1-stalk celey chopped
1-med. onion sliced
3-whole chix breasts
1/2 lb. small white mushrooms,sliced
2-Tea. mustard
juice of 2 lemons
salt and fresh ground black pepper
4-flat anchovy fillets, chopped or as I do mashed into the oil
1/2-c. evoo
3-4 green onions sliced
freshly chopped flat leaf parsley about 1-2 TAB.
place stock,water,carrots,celery and onion in large saucepan. Bring to boil. Add chicken. Cover and and lower heat. Simmer 40 to 50 min. or til chix is tender. Slice mushrooms thin. Remove chix from broth and let cool. I save stock and freeze for soups.
skin and bone the chix. Slice meat in thin slices,place in large salad bowl. Add mushrooms, green onions. Mix the mustard, lemon juice,salt,pepper in small bowl. Add anchovies and oil Pour over chix, toss gently and if you want place on bed of shredded lettuce or even a nice grilled roll, top with parsley
enjoy,best if served at room temp.
makes enough for 6 serving..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Master Chef
All of the oils you mentioned are vegetable oils. They all have the same amount of fat. Vegetable oils are usually considered better for you than animal fats... but there are exceptions.

Goodweed recently posted some interesting information on fats Here
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef
fat is fat and clocks in as caloriewise equal one to another. Low fat methods to cook chicken: 1) in tomato sauce with basil, oregano, or rosemary. 2) With white wine, garlic, taragon and/or thyme. 3) In broth with seasoning of choice including hot sauces if you like. I like #1 over whole wheat pasta. I like #2 with greens of some type over quinoa or couscous. And # 3 with a mix of vegies or greens over whole wheat noodles.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
You might like this recipe which is best with skinless thighs or drumsticks, it's like a glorified honey-mustard dish:

Five Ingredient Chicken

1/4 cup dijon mustard, thinned with 2 Tablespoons water
2/3 cup maple syrup (grade B is best)
2 teaspoons dried or rubbed sage
2 teaspoons curry powder
6 - 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks

Preheat oven to 400. In a small saucepan, combine everything except chicken and stir over medium heat til well-mixed.

Sprinkle chicken with salt & freshly ground black pepper and arrange in a baking dish that crowds the pieces a bit. (I like using my Corning Ware 8x8x2 inch glass dish and I usually line it with foil but you don't have to.) Pour sauce over chicken and turn chicken to coat. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, BASTING every 10 or 15 minutes, or til golden brown and cooked through. Very good with basmati rice and a green vegetable.

There is another very tasty low-fat recipe at Epicurious.com for Chicken in Spicy Tomato Sauce, really excellent.
valnaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Mish, I just read an interesting article about not using olive oil to cook with as it changes when it heats up. I can't remember it very well, but I will look it up and post it if I find it. The upshot of the article was that olive oil is best used in salads etc and not to cook with.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Here ya go!

4 servings

4 large pieces of parchment paper,12x18
2 cloves minced garlic
4-6 plum tomatoes, small dice
4tsp.minced ginger
3T minced parsley
1T minced rosemary
1T lemon juice
1T olive oil
4 skinless chicken breast
8 thin slices lemon

Place tomatoes, garlic, ginger, parsley, rosemary, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl and mix. Pound chicken breasts to flatten evenly.
Preheat oven to 450. See directions for preparing parchment. Open parchment so points of hearts are toward you; lay a chicken breast on the right side of the heart. Sprinkle with salt/pepper to taste. Top each breast with of the tomato herb mixture, and lay two slices of lemon on top of each one. Place completed envelopes on sheet pan; place in preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes; packet will puff up and brown nicely on the outside.
To serve, place whole packet on plate. Cut open an X and fold back the points.

Cut a piece of parchment into a rectangle about 12" X 15" or 18". Fold the rectangle in half and cut half a heart, starting from the bottom of the folded side. A full heart should be visible when the paper is unfolded. Oil the outside of the heart, and place oiled side down. Put the food on the parchment as above.
Fold over the left side of the heart to enclose the food, making a small crimp or fold at the top edge of the heart; continue making small overlapping folds all the way around the edge. Each fold should hold the previous one. When you reach the bottom of the heart, fold the point under to hold it in place. The packet is ready for cooking.

1 c Fresh or frozen Raspberries
1 ts Finely shredded orange peel
1/2 c Orange juice
1/2 ts Chicken bouillon granules
1/8 ts Ground nutmeg
1/8 ts White or black pepper
2 ts Cornstarch
1 tb Cold Water
4 x medium (12 oz total) boned skinless Chicken Breast halves

Thaw raspberries if frozen; set aside. In a large skillet combine orange peel, orange juice, bouillon granules, nutmeg, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add chicken. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink; turn chicken after 10 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Stir together cornstarch and water; add to skillet. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Gently stir in raspberries; heat through. Pour over chicken. Per serving: 177 calories, 27 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 73 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium,

4 servings

4 skinless chicken breasts
1T olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
cup lemon juice
2T chopped rosemary
cup minced parsley
tsp. coarse grind black pepper
2 minced garlic cloves
cup dry white wine

Pound chicken breasts to flatten evenly. Combine oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, rosemary, 2 T of parsley, black pepper and garlic. Place chicken breasts in ziplock bag and pour marinade in. Close bag and shake to coat. Marinate in fridge at least 1 hour or up to all day; turn occasionally.
Preheat oven to 450. Remove chicken from fridge hour before cooking. Remove chicken from marinade and drain. Place marinade in small skillet and reserve. Have ready a baking sheet to put the chicken pieces on for the oven.
Using a ridged grill pan, preheat to high heat til almost smoking. Lay the chicken in the pan so they are not touching, and sear. Give the breasts a quarter turn after the initial searing. When nicely browned on one side, remove from pan and place browned side up on the baking sheet. Roast for 6-8 minutes, or til the breast just bounces when lightly pressed with a finger. Remove from oven to warm platter and cover while you finish sauce.
Deglaze the grill pan with wine, and add it to the marinade. Place over high heat and reduce by half, adding any accumulated juices from the chicken. Just before serving, stir in remaining parsley; plate chicken and spoon sauce over top.

Enjoy! If you're doing the low-cal thing, remember you can really punch up flavors, with a fruit or vegetable 'salsa', added at serving time.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Head Chef
Chicken, Olives and Tequila

It's called "Pollo Borracho", a recipe I got from Food Network. I've made it a bunch of times, with any chicken I have on hand, including boneless, skinless chicken breasts (naturally, you cook that less time than dark meat).

It is so easy and delicious! Serve over rice. mmm MMMM!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Master Chef
I just toss my chicken in olive oil and season with a garlic/herb seasoning or a packet of Good Season's Zesty Italian dressing, put in baking dish, and bake, uncovered at 350 until nicely browned. No need to turn them.
You can add vegetables of your choice, prepared the same way, if you like.
I do both breasts and thighs, as I prefer the dark meat, while my husband likes white.

You can use this same method with other seasonings...Cajun seasoning is a nice change.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Alix, all of Southern Italy disagrees and cooks almost exclusively with evoo. even deep frying in it. But a very expensive single vintage evoo is best appreciated in a salad or a cold preparation.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote