"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 05-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO new ideas for leftover cooked chicken

Kim grilled some bone-in chcken breasts last night, and they were delicious. Now I have leftover cooked chicken to be creative with, and I wonder if anyone has some new ideas, aside from pot pie or chicken salad.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quesadillas!

Get some tortillas and add cheese, guacamole, jalapenos, chopped scallions, taco sauce, chicken and whatever else you want and heat them.

I use a non-stick skillet. Heat it up, butter the pan and lay in the constructed quesadilla. Cook until the tortilla is browned and the cheese starts to melt. Then flip it using an appropriate sized plate and do the other side.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
how about chicken noodle soup?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Master Chef

I tear the left over chicken into pieces and make chicken salad sandwhiches. Really tasty. Add mayo, some dijon mustard, a bit of pepper and onion and wha la!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

the first thing i thought was cacciatore. i like cacciatore with both brown meat and white, and i've even used leftover turkey, but split breasts will work. the smoke from the grill will be a nice added touch, too.

in a deep skillet, brown some onions, garlic, and sweat mushrooms in evoo, add skinned/crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, and just a pinch of rosemary (optional cuppa red wine). simmer on med and stir for a few minutes to help evaporate some of the excess liquid, then put the chicken in the sauce, cover and simmer on low until the chicken begins to fall off the bone. carefully remove chicken and discard bones. uncover sauce, add chicken meat back in and reduce to desired thickness. serve with pasta and a good amount of grated romano on the chicken.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
One of my absolute favourite things to do with leftover chicken (or turkey) is to toss it in a pan with loads of honey garlic sauce (homemade or store bought) and sautee it for a while. To that I often add thin slices of onion (or green onion), carrots and something green like snap peas. Serve it over your favourite Asian noodles and enjoy

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

one of my "tried and true and then some" recipes:
Chicken Pie
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Here's a real easy one:

Herbed Chicken & Rice

1 package Rice-A-Roni Herb & Butter
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups chicken cooked & sliced
2 3/4 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup milk

Instructions: Brown rice-macaroni mixture in 4 Tbsp butter. Add chicken & continue browning; stirring frequently.

Add water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, & simmer 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute onions & mushrooms in 2 Tbsp butter. Stir in sour cream, milk & contents of flavor packet. Combine with rice & macaroni mixture.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I tear the left over chicken into pieces and make chicken salad sandwhiches. Really tasty. Add mayo, some dijon mustard, a bit of pepper and onion and wha la!
I just saw the chicken salad part... sorry about that! I should read the entire post next time... thought I was being witty!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Combine a can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup sour cream. Add about 2 to 3 cups of leftover chicken. Add about 2 cups frozen peas and/or carrots. Top wiht crushed Ritz crackers. Bake at 350* until heated through.

Tags
None